It looks like something changed in 12.7.12 from .11 in how credentials are salted/hashed in the database. First indication of this is that is would not use the existing .whd.properties file and presented the initial configuration dialog in the browser rather than directing to upgrade the DB as usual.
I put the same info back into the setup using the existing MSSQL DB and it recreated the .whd.properties file with the only difference being the password was hashed differently.
Upgrade proceeded as typical, but upon testing, anything that had a stored credential for:
- AD connectors
- Incoming Email
- Outgoing Email
Failed to authenticate. The creds had to be reapplied to restore.
Additionally came across an AES error in the log that I tracked down to an AES string that had a decryption error and turned out it was a password in an email config that was set to anonymous, but had that string for a password. Set that to null and errors stopped.
Still lots of issues with HTML special characters. Cases open on that, but the encryption issues were unexpected.