This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Does anyone know any way to filter e-mails based on the to address?

Right now we have multiple addresses all forwarding to one central address that is checked by WebHelpDesk. What we've been doing to date was having a filter on this address (It's a google workspace account) to put different emails into their own unique labels and removing them from the inbox. Then we add a new incoming address, using our normal accounts credentials, but checking that unique label for messages and when it finds one it assigns it to the appropriate request type. This has been working great for years.

But now... as of the end of this month we have to move all our incoming mail to use OAuth, which I got working. BUT... it only allows one address per account, so our previous method breaks. This means I will need to create dozens of new accounts unless I find another solution.

The easy fix would be having an action rule that could trigger based on the 'To' address, but WHD doesn't allow that. Ugh.

Anyone have any other solutions for this? Thanks

Parents
  • Not being a Google Workspace user, how are you assigning different Inbound Mail definitions in WHD to look at your different Labels in the Mail account, using the "Inbox Folder" definition in the WHD Inbound Mail Accounts Setup screen? 

• Yes, so in the past it would ask the "E-mail Address" which didn't really matter since the real address it was checking was the one down below the Incoming mail server, so I would just put a descriptive 'fake' email address there that was unique, like 'New-Account-Request@collegename.edu" and then just specify our real email address as the User Name below, and then specify the "Inbox Folder" as the label name. I could then specify a "Request Type" for this incoming e-mail.

But now with the new OAuth requirement by google by the end of this month, it's forcing the e-mail address to be the real account name and wont let me add more than one. 

So I was trying to be optimistic posting here i hopes that someone else might have another solution for this. 

Thanks

• We know SW are working on a WHD12.7.9 release to address G-Mail issues with OAUTH, my questions to them were if you were running a headless Windows or Linux Server how can you do OAUTH?

I suspect you were using functionality which the system was not designed to do but did actually work, thanks to Google that might not be possible again.

• I suspect that's the case as well and I'm in the process of creating a bunch of accounts, and will need to create a bunch of google projects and oauth credentials, in order to keep us working as we had been.

I'd argue that since WHD allows different incoming accounts to check different labels/folders, then why limit only one incoming account per address? Clearly there could be scenarios like ours where we're using one address but having Google's filters move the messages into the appropriate folders.

OR if WHD allowed action rules to reference the TO: address that would solve things too.

Thanks for listening.

• You can do exactly that with the Office365 type connector where you get the WHD to read new Folders and not the Inbox via separate Inbound Mail definitions each one reading the same Mailbox but a different "Inbox Folder" name.

Reply Children