This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Updating tickets via email

I apologize if I’m asking something that everyone else knows or is documented somewhere that I haven’t immediately found, but I am looking for a list of values that can be used in the subject of an email to change a ticket. Thanks to one post I found, I found that the following subject line can be used to add a hidden tech note to a ticket (ticket #997 in this example):

Ticket:997 Action:TechUpdate Hidden:YES

I feel sure other actions and/or parameters can also be passed though. I’m mostly interested in how to change the status of a ticket (e.g. open, pending, resolved, closed, etc…) via an email. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Parents Reply
  • There could be more but I'm not sure. Lately I was wondering if the customer could send in an email with a specific subject to set the ticket priority as well but I haven't had a chance to investigate if that's possible or not. If anyone knows or has more ideas on valid subject line keywords, all comments would be appreciated.

Children
  • Hi James,

thanks for feedback, we will definitely look into documenting this feature better and I will consider to write a Blog Post before it.

Currently only possible fields are those mentioned here:

Ticket:1014 Action:TechUpdate Hidden:NO Status:Pending EmailClient:NO Reassign:sally@mycompany.com MinutesWorked:30 BillingRate:Standard

We will prepare more documentation. Stay tuned!

Peter

• Thanks Peter. I definitely think adding support for the priority field would be a good idea. I was thinking about this because I'd like the customer to be able to flag urgent issues and then possibly trigger a notification mail to a tech based on that. This could reduce constant disruptions for new tickets while still allowing for immediate notifications for urgent issues where we needed to interrupt our other work for the new urgent issue.

Best Regards,

James

• For time being, probably you can use the Action Rules that if there is word Priority:Urgent on the Subject, then it will trigger the action rule to set the priority to Urgent or what ever setup you like on the ticket to be automatically made by action rule.

Regards,

• Peter Krutý wrote:

Hi James,

thanks for feedback, we will definitely look into documenting this feature better and I will consider to write a Blog Post before it.

Currently only possible fields are those mentioned here:

Ticket:1014 Action:TechUpdate Hidden:NO Status:Pending EmailClient:NO Reassign:sally@mycompany.com MinutesWorked:30 BillingRate:Standard

We will prepare more documentation. Stay tuned!

Peter

Is there anymore information on this?  I'm interested in the "Request Type" field and\or a way to prevent rule processing when I email in a ticket.  Currently we have a rule in place that if an email comes into the helpdesk it is set to "Service Type: General/Other" and then everybody, and their monkey, is e-mailed a notification.  So I really want to find a way to email tickets in (to expedite the creation process), but not have everyone notified.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Hi jhammell,

Did you get any update on this at all? I wouldn't mind viewing something that came about from the request.

• I did not receive any response.  emoticons_confused.png