This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Number of hosts per cluster in Report?

I am trying to include the number of hosts in each VMware cluster in my VMAN Orion reports, but cannot seem to find it in the available data. VMAN definitely knows the number of hosts per cluster, because if you hover over a cluster it will show #Hosts. What am I missing? Thanks.

Parents
  • alang  wrote:

I am trying to include the number of hosts in each VMware cluster in my VMAN Orion reports, but cannot seem to find it in the available data. VMAN definitely knows the number of hosts per cluster, because if you hover over a cluster it will show #Hosts. What am I missing? Thanks.

Are you looking just for the pure count or a report of the related hosts?

If you add a custom table, specifying a swql query such as:
    "SELECT C.DisplayName as clusterName, H.DisplayName as hostName FROM Orion.VIM.Clusters C Inner Join Orion.VIM.Hosts H on C.ClusterId = H.ClusterId"

Then you can gorup the results to create a report by cluster name that would give you all the associated hosts with the cluster.

pastedImage_2.png

you can modify the SWQL query to include only the count of hosts for instance like the following:

SELECT C.DisplayName as clusterName, COUNT(H.DisplayName) as hostcount FROM Orion.VIM.Clusters C Inner Join Orion.VIM.Hosts H on C.ClusterId = H.ClusterId GROUP BY C.DisplayName

Would give results such as the following:

pastedImage_0.png

• I am still trying to re-create reports that were readily available from the old VMAN appliance. Something like this would be great. Can the host count be integrated into the original table?

Virtual DatacenterCluster NameHost CountCPU CoresCPU LoadMemory TotalMemory Used
    System ManagementMGMNT25620%1,024 GB20%
    Test clusterUSETST-BL38414%1,536 GB56%

What I'm also still waiting for is the predictive capacity capability that the old appliance provided, like below:

Virtual DatacenterCluster NameHost CountCPU CoresCPU LoadMemory TotalMemory Used# VMsAddtl' VM CapacityVM Constraint
    System ManagementMGMNT25620%1,024 GB20%119Disk
    Test clusterUSETST-BL38414%1,536 GB56%10848Disk
  • Hello.

I spent half an hour testing around with a custom table and its fields. The best I came up with in regards of showing the amount of hosts that belong to a cluster is the "computed polling source". In my example I have (unmonitored Bastogne) St. Petersburg with 2 ESXi hosts and I have Sydney datacenter that has 1 host and 1 cluster managing 2 ESXi hosts.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_2.png

Best regards,

Steffen

• Thanks Steffen. I tried your suggestion, but it seems the Computer Polling Source is always 2 for every cluster, regardless of the number of hosts. Would have been nice...

• oh bummer, looks like a feature request then for serena

• alang  wrote:

I am still trying to re-create reports that were readily available from the old VMAN appliance. Something like this would be great. Can the host count be integrated into the original table?

Virtual DatacenterCluster NameHost CountCPU CoresCPU LoadMemory TotalMemory Used
    System ManagementMGMNT25620%1,024 GB20%
    Test clusterUSETST-BL38414%1,536 GB56%

What I'm also still waiting for is the predictive capacity capability that the old appliance provided, like below:

Virtual DatacenterCluster NameHost CountCPU CoresCPU LoadMemory TotalMemory Used# VMsAddtl' VM CapacityVM Constraint
    System ManagementMGMNT25620%1,024 GB20%119Disk
    Test clusterUSETST-BL38414%1,536 GB56%10848Disk

So, using the SWQL query that I provided you can absolutely add those fields to the report. I'm curious as well, have you been utilizing our capacity planning reports? Do they not include all the fields that you are looking for?

pastedImage_2.png

• Serena, I was able to use your SWQL query to add a second table with the number of cluster nodes, but I am not sure how to get this information into the same table with the other information? I'm sorry, I have never used custom queries like that and am probably missing something.

Yes, I tried that Capacity Reports and we actually talked about them on the phone earlier this year. Yes, the information is there, but since these reports are not reusable and only work one cluster at a time, they aren't really usable for a large global environment.

• Serena, I was able to use your SWQL query to add a second table with the number of cluster nodes, but I am not sure how to get this information into the same table with the other information? I'm sorry, I have never used custom queries like that and am probably missing something.

Yes, I tried that Capacity Reports and we actually talked about them on the phone earlier this year. Yes, the information is there, but since these reports are not reusable and only work one cluster at a time, they aren't really usable for a large global environment.

Children
  • alang  wrote:

Serena, I was able to use your SWQL query to add a second table with the number of cluster nodes, but I am not sure how to get this information into the same table with the other information? I'm sorry, I have never used custom queries like that and am probably missing something.

Andreas, I remember our conversation and I'm curious whether you've taken a look at our VMAN beta documents? VMAN Beta Now Available! 

regarding the "multiple cluster" reports we added a nice improvement that I would love your feedback on.

So here's an example of how you can use that SWQL query to modify existing reports. The challenge here is when you're modifying OOTB reports, these have been simplified for the more common use cases, so you'll want to modify the datasource to use the queries rather than the default selector.

so for example I've chosen to edit my Disconnected Host report

pastedImage_6.png

I will click the edit next to the datasource to change what data is being provided in a singular table

pastedImage_7.png

Right now it's using just a basic selector that searches for all hosts with connection state = unknown

pastedImage_8.png

Switch from dynamic query builder over to Advanced Database Query

pastedImage_9.png

And start building your query. For instance if I wanted to put

SELECT C.DisplayName as clusterName, H.DisplayName, H.ConnectionState FROM Orion.VIM.Clusters C Inner Join Orion.VIM.Hosts H on C.ClusterId = H.ClusterId  GROUP BY C.DisplayName, H.DisplayName, H.ConnectionState

Then when I preview the results I would get all of the clusters and their associated hosts.

pastedImage_10.png

A nice way to quickly sanity check your SWQL query without installing the SDK tools is to use the web swis page

<ipaddress>/Orion/Admin/swis.aspx

pastedImage_12.png

So if I wanted to change the query I gave you to show only the count of hosts that are disconnected in my cluster then the query would look like the following:

SELECT C.DisplayName as clusterName, COUNT(H.DisplayName) as hostcount FROM Orion.VIM.Clusters C Inner Join Orion.VIM.Hosts H on C.ClusterId = H.ClusterId where H.ConnectionState = 'disconnected' GROUP BY C.DisplayName

Does that help? I hope that you get a chance to take a look at the capacity planning updates we've got in beta emoticons_happy.png