This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Datastore queue depth, are you out there?

ESX datastore queue depth

Virtualization engineers are curious lot, especially now that we've given them access to the pre-production VMAN environment.  With all of the stats out there, of course they would find the *one* stat that I couldn't find in the tool.

Is the ESX datastore queue depth (current queue depth) captured and reported?  I'm not looking for configured max queue length though it would be really cool to be able to compare the max queue length and current queue length.

Anyone?

Parents
  • We do not report on the queue depth property but the good news is we do collect the property (if configured) and we can gather the info with some manipulation.

If all your ESX hosts have queue depth set within VMware you can select each host in VMAN and select XML view.  Under the LUN property, you can view queue depth

XML View.jpg

If you are trying to identify which servers have queue depth set a custom alert can be created using xpath to identify which servers have this property populated.  If you need this let me know and I'll post the query details.

• Chris, could you post the xpath query details?  I have a sneaky suspicion that there might not be any hosts in our production environment that have this value set.

Reply Children
  • To identify any ESX hosts that have the queueDepth property populated it is possible to display 1 value per entity using a customer alert (in our case 1 computed value per host; the value can be a number or any string concatenated from multiple values – anything that is possible to express with XPath) . The notification value of the alert is the value displayed in the right side (the computed value) – currently the number of luns for the host which have the queueDepth value set. It is displayed in a way that is shown on the right side of the following image.

In the example given STP-ESX-01 &STP-ESX-02 both have the queueDepth property set.

Alert creation

Scope Tab -

Search Query = *

Notification Tab

count(/hostServer/lun/queueDepth/text())

queueDepth.jpg