This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Old Snapshots Alerting

Hello,

I'm currently building an alert that would inform us about old snapshots on our virtual machines. The alert itself works fine but I would like to put as much information about the snapshot as possible.

So far I have managed to set up an alert notification in the following way (I have cut out non relevant text):

"There is a snapshot older than X days on ${N=SwisEntity;M=Name}.

Oldest snapshot creation date: ${N=SwisEntity;M=OldestSnapshotDate}

Snapshot storage size: ${N=SwisEntity;M=SnapshotStorageSize}

Snapshot summary count: ${N=SwisEntity;M=SnapshotSummaryCount}"

This is nothing special as it only includes variables available from "creator".

What I would like to add is information about snapshot creator and snapshot description.

As far as I know SolarWinds does not pull information from "Monitor" tab in VCenter so it may not be possible to do this currently (please correct me if I'm wrong).

However I found in database that there is table named "[dbo].[VIM_Snapshots]" and column "Name" is basically snapshot description, so I'm looking for help how could I add this information into above alert.

Parents
  • You can add snapshot name (single value) into your alert message this way

1. When selecting variable to insert, check "Define SQL/SWQL Variable (Advanced)" option

2. Switch to SWQL radio button and use query

SELECT TOP 1 Name From Orion.VIM.Snapshots WHERE VirtualMachineID = ${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID} ORDER BY DateCreated

which will give you the name of the oldest snapshot. You can modify the query to e.g. select the largest snapshot older than 30 days e.g.

• You can add snapshot name (single value) into your alert message this way

1. When selecting variable to insert, check "Define SQL/SWQL Variable (Advanced)" option

2. Switch to SWQL radio button and use query

SELECT TOP 1 Name From Orion.VIM.Snapshots WHERE VirtualMachineID = ${N=SwisEntity;M=VirtualMachineID} ORDER BY DateCreated

which will give you the name of the oldest snapshot. You can modify the query to e.g. select the largest snapshot older than 30 days e.g.

Children