This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I prune and shrink this new SolarWindsOrionLog database?

During a relatively recent update installation, the installer demanded that I create a new SolarWindsOrionLog database.  I had the option of creating it on the same SQL Server where the main database was located or putting it on a separate SQL Server.  At the time, I kept it on the same SQL Server, although I'm re-thinking that decision now.

However, that database started growing, and kept on growing.  It got huge, so I started looking into why.  SolarWinds Support was able to point me to the root cause: we were receiving and recording an inordinate amount of SNMP Traps.  I got that Trap firehose turned off and the growth has stopped, but the damage was done, and now I'm sitting here with a 1.7 Terabyte SolarWindsOrionLog database.

I've reduced the Traps retention down to a single day, but that hasn't apparently had any effect on this new database.  SQL Server Management Studio doesn't report that there's any significant free space to shrink the database.  I've run the SolarWinds Database Maintenance process by hand a couple of times, to no effect either (and does that tool actually affect this new database?).

SolarWinds Support seems to be rather flailing about, so I thought I'd post here: does anyone know how to prune and shrink this blasted new "log" database?

-Ed