This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adding Multiple Nodes / Same IP / Different Hostname / Different VLAN

I have a network cluster with multiple venues that host groups of switches.

Each venue switch is configured with the same IP, but traversing a VPN via different VLANs (L3 tagged) via a single trunk to a single central location where the Solarwinds Poller resides.

- All switches have unique hostname / VLAN IP. 

Is there any way to add these switches/nodes via without having an additional poller at each venue? Can it work on the hostname alone?

Parents
  • How does the traffic get to Solarwinds?   Is it getting NAT'd?

Logicaly for the traffic to get routed, it must have a unique IP address once it arrives at the Solarwinds server. (NAT is the only way I can think of for the networking to function with all sites using the same IPx/Subnet.

On that assumption, tell SW to use the IP address that IT sees for these site devices.

To answer your second question, you can change the polling to use NS Name instead of IP.  (It defaults to IP so that a NS outage will not effect monitoring of all devices)

• How does the traffic get to Solarwinds?   Is it getting NAT'd?

Logicaly for the traffic to get routed, it must have a unique IP address once it arrives at the Solarwinds server. (NAT is the only way I can think of for the networking to function with all sites using the same IPx/Subnet.

On that assumption, tell SW to use the IP address that IT sees for these site devices.

To answer your second question, you can change the polling to use NS Name instead of IP.  (It defaults to IP so that a NS outage will not effect monitoring of all devices)

Children
No Data