This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP V3

Good day all,

I hope I am posting this in the right place? please feel free to move it if not.

I am trying to setup a Ubuntu server using SNMP v3 authentication, I have tried all methods of encryption however I just cant get it to work. I can however access from another server using snmpwalk so I am confident that everything is working ok. 

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • In this situation the first thing I do is test with another SNMP tool from the Orion server. In the c:\program files(x86)\SolarWinds\Orion folder is another SolarWinds SNMP walk tool 'snmpwalk.exe' which is immediately available for testing. This tends to give better error response visibility as well.

I suggest you try this or another such tool on the Orion server to see what clue you may get, as initial thoughts are 161 connectivity on what you have stated above.

• Agree 100% with . We first need to determine if this is an issue that is unique to the Orion server itself, such as in the case of an ACL or SNMP IP Address Filtering (source restriction) configured on the SNMP daemon.

If the SNMPv3 credentials and encryption settings used in Orion work using a different tool on the same server, then it's likely an issue with restrictions on the views. Just because some data is returned in a walk, doesn't mean that the data necessary for Orion is being returned. Unlike SNMPv2, the SNMPv3 protocol allows for restrictions on what information can be accessed using the credential provided. These are called 'views'. I would recommend ensuring that you've enabled access to all the MIBs in the view. For example, on a Cisco switch...

snmp-server view <nameofview> mib-2 included     <-- allows you to look up everything in the mib-2 branch

• Many thanks for your suggestions, I have resolved the issue now. I can successfully click the test button and it verifies all good so I am happy.

• It is good for the community if you are able to post up what the issue was and how you resolved it. You are not the first and will not be the last to hit such an issue.

Glad you got it working

Reply Children
No Data