This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds low level discovery for metrics?

Hi thwack!
As a former Zabbix user, where you can set up the lld (low-level-discovery) and forget about adding items manually, I have a question - is there lld option in Solarwinds?
For example, we have several linux nodes and different file systems on each node. And I want to add FS's metrics to SWS dynamically (because each node can have it's own FS's, own mount pointc, etc), is it possible?
Another example - we have a prometheus exporter for BIND and I want to collect only the ones metrics which are match a pattern "bind_query_errors_total{metricname}" where metricname could be anything.

Parents
  • This can be accomplished using the Orion SDK. There are several examples using a variety of different languages. Below is just one using PowerShell to run a discovery against a WMI node and import the results to begin monitoring. 

https://github.com/solarwinds/OrionSDK/blob/master/Samples/PowerShell/DiscoverWmiNode.ps1

Alternatively, you can also use Scheduled Discovery profiles with automated import. Simply define what to discover (subnet, Active Directory OU, etc.) then define what you want to automatically monitor (only ethernet interfaces that are 'up', only fixed disks, etc.) then schedule the discovery to run at the frequency of your liking (weekly, daily, hourly, etc.) and select the option to automatically import results. This can be used both to import changes to existing nodes, or for adding entirely new nodes to Orion. 

• For example, I have 100+ BIND linux machines, but every machine could have it's own set of changeable metrics.
    Dynamic components could be implemented only with SDK, am I right?

If we talk about autoimporting nodes due to autodiscovery, how to add another applications in this list below?

• Dynamic Application template assignment is handled through groups. Define a dynamic group based upon whatever parameters you wish, then assign the appropriate application template to the group, rather than the node itself. Any nodes which meet the criteria of the dynamic group will have that application template assigned automatically. 

• Dynamic Application template assignment is handled through groups. Define a dynamic group based upon whatever parameters you wish, then assign the appropriate application template to the group, rather than the node itself. Any nodes which meet the criteria of the dynamic group will have that application template assigned automatically. 

Children