This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Issue with viewing an "Orion Map" using the Orion Map Widget/Resource for a map created by another user

Question: See the below screenshot. What am I doing wrong?  Is there a setting or something obvious I'm missing?

Details: 

A user created an "Orion Map". I added the "Orion map" widget" to a page and selected their map.  I get "Cannot Show map" and "Improper access/view rights or map is empty.".

Well, fine, but I'm the Orion admin(with full admin rights, and literally the admin who patches the system) and I'm unable to view this users map in this widget?  If I click on "view mode" I get redirected and I can view it.  If I add a map I created, it shows up in this web resource just fine. probably only for me though...?

Seems really weird a map can't at least be viewed by anyone but the owner (*using this map widget*), and really weird that an Orion admin cannot view it using this widget.

I have read on the forums that "any admin can make a copy of an existing map to take over permissions on a new map..." but that's no bueno.  What the users team is wanting to do is to try to migrate over all their network atlas maps to Orion maps, and they want to tty to make is "as much the same" as it was before, with the US map, click and get the state map, click and get the town, etc all the way to the device...and possibly all the way to the individual atoms inside the glass of the fiber interconnects themselves.  in short: a lot of maps, all interconnected, that no one is going to want to make copies of just to change some permissions.And I, as the admin, want no part in creating or maintaining their maps for them just so maintain some permissions...

And sure, "but if they do the map and the widget and the view,  THEY can see it"...well,:

1. How can I be sure who can view any of the maps *in this widget on the web UI*.  yes, sharing a link to a URL works but...

2. They want to make nice dashboards, that anyone with Orion access can view/use/see, not just themselves/themself.

Sorry for being pedantic and/or ranting, just wanting to clarify