This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Limiting who service agents can assign incidents to?

Hello all,

In my organization, we have a 2-tier IT team as well as a few departments who are also using the SWSD as separately as possible. In the past, we've had an issue with our T1 IT team just assigning incidents to T2 without any warning or troubleshooting beforehand. In response, I created an escalation process as well restricted who the T1 IT team can see in the user dropdown under Assigned To to just the T1 team. I did this by adding all T2 techs to the same supervisor and then restricting the T1 role by Read > Users > Supervisor: {T2 supervisor}

I did something similar to the other (non-IT) departments who use our SWSD. They can only see incidents assigned to their team group and members and can only assign to their team. This was done similarly by limiting by supervisor.

The issue is that we're working on using the service catalog for automating a lot of what would otherwise be emails going back and forth. A good amount of catalog items will require the requester's supervisor to approve or decline requests. As such, it's going to be important to make sure that the users' managers match who they actually report to. This is going to result in the previously mentioned separation and restrictions breaking. 

Has anyone achieved something similar but using a different method? 

• Hi, this is a great question and smart workaround with using the supervisor as the way to restrict the user list. Are you using the department field in your account? I ask because you could possibly add all your tier 2 agents to a department called IT - Tier 2 and then restrict based on department.