This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Have "Send Notification" Automations Tie Back To Original Incident Record for Replies

We currently utilize a series of automations or workflow processes steps that send a notification to a user, notifying them or requesting further information. 

However, if they happen to reply to that notification that is sent via workflow or automation, it creates a whole new incident ticket for their response.  Is it possible to tie reference msg data into these notifications that ultimately include a link to the original ticket, so that if a user replies to that notification, it ties their response to the comments of the ticket is was spawned from?

• Hello, mpuskar.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I did some testing and confirmed your experience.  I have made engineering aware.  In the meantime, I would recommend adding a line to the ad-hoc email, recommending to the user NOT to reply to that email until we can get a fix in place.

• I just discovered this bug today and it is ruining my ability to create a workflow with a well-formatted notification to a user.

The top of the email says "reply above this line" and it does not reply to the originating ticket context, it creates a new ticket.

This is three months old? When will it be fixed?

• I did hear back from support and it partially solved my issue.  I had to include #VALUE on my subject line.  For example the subject of the notification must include  "Incident {{Incident_number}}" and that ties the response back to the original ticket.  However, I am now faced with the issue where I need to create an account for the recipient, who is an external partner, who is simply replying with an appointment time. I don't necessarily want to manage 100s of external user accounts that simply reply to notifications to add comments to tickets. 

• I found a partial solution. Does your subject line on the notification include "Incident {{incident_number}}"? 
    Example: Incident {{incident_number}} - {{Incident_title}}

This solved it for me.  I can use generic email templates custom to the message and recipients can reply into the comments of the original ticket. 

Also, a neat little bonus, you can create your own variables in the body with {{anything}} and call them out in the workflow later..

I have a custom field on a request form for a {{location}} and {{issue}}, and then in the body of the email template, I created, I include something like:

Please create vendor ticket for: 
    Issue: {{Variable_2}}

Then, when I choose "Send Notification" as a workflow step in the request process, and choose my custom email template, it alerts me that it does not recognize the variables I called out and I can define them at that moment where {{Variable_1}} = {{location}} and {{Variable_2}} = {{issues}}.  It maps them for me which means I could conceivably create one email template that can be reused for various external support vendors and have them made aware of an issue at a specific location.

• Thank you so much for this!

I'm using an email template, so I had to set this as the subject line in the template:

Incident {{incident_number}} - {{incident_title}}

And this sent the reply into the ticket.

I noticed that when I did not have it set up correctly, that when created the Notification process step I was presented with an undefined variable field for the incident number.

When it was all set up correctly, I was not prompted for the {{incident_number}} variable.