This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Do you need administrator privileges to delete solutions?

FormerMember
FormerMember

I'm working on cleaning out my organization's knowledge base and trying to get rid of outdated solutions, but I can't figure out how to delete them. Clearly some of the solutions in my org's instance have already been deleted because there are gaps in the numbers they've been assigned. But I don't seem to be able to do it. Do I need to have administrator privileges to delete solutions? Or is the delete button just really well hidden?

Parents
  • By default, Admin credentials are needed to delete solutions (and other records as well).  However, an admin can grant delete rights for specific objects through the Security and Roles feature.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to joel.blagg

Hey actually, I was just going through the settings with my supervisor who does have admin credentials and we couldn't find this feature anywhere. Could you be more specific about how to find it under set up?

• In Setup under Account>Roles & Permissions is where you find your Security Roles.  By default, an administrator account has the "permission" Manage>All.  The default Service Agent User role (typical technician role) has the "permission" of Manage>All but with some added "restrictions" that includes the restriction of "Delete>All".  

Removing this restriction would allow every technician using the Security Role the ability to delete anything within the system.  This certainly wouldn't be "best practice".  But, "permissions" may be added allowing users of this role to Delete specific things.  The addition of the "permission" Delete>Incidents would do just that, allow technicians to delete incidents within the system.  You can add as many "permissions" as you need for extra object types within the system.

Let me know if you still have questions.

• In Setup under Account>Roles & Permissions is where you find your Security Roles.  By default, an administrator account has the "permission" Manage>All.  The default Service Agent User role (typical technician role) has the "permission" of Manage>All but with some added "restrictions" that includes the restriction of "Delete>All".  

Removing this restriction would allow every technician using the Security Role the ability to delete anything within the system.  This certainly wouldn't be "best practice".  But, "permissions" may be added allowing users of this role to Delete specific things.  The addition of the "permission" Delete>Incidents would do just that, allow technicians to delete incidents within the system.  You can add as many "permissions" as you need for extra object types within the system.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Children
No Data