This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion alert integration

With the solarwinds orion integration for alert to auto generate tickets.  Is it possible to get more controll on what is entered on the ticket.  Some fields seem to come over such as severity and I can't control its display or if I even want it.

I am also trying to pull in the link to the node in the alert however its not a click able link.  Is it possible to do this.

We are moving off of WHD and we just used emails so I was able to fully customize the HTML code.  

Parents
  • Hey , of course you can control which fields you are bringing over with the Alert to the SD ticket, read this blog post for more information on how to do it.

Regarding having a direct link from the SD ticket to the Orion-Node, this is a great feature request, would you mind listing it in Thwack so we can monitor how many other customers would like us to implement it?

TIA, Amir (Part of the ITSM Product Management team)

• So actually I'm trying to limit some of the information that comes over or modify how its displayed.  thinks like the alert severity come over in the text field and there is not a field in the alert action for that.  

With the way the info comes over its kind of hard to read so ultimately i was hoping for more control over how what displays.  

It would be awesome if rather than all the data just being in the request it actually mapped to fields in the ticket instead and then leaving the request details view for just the body of the alert as well as some way to do HTML editing  

• Today there is no way to limit the default information that comes, which data do you see irrelevant to your organization?

You can use automation roles to adjust fields values based on keywords found in the ticket title or description.
    I do see a future in which there will be kind of filed mapping between Orion and Service Desk, so the data will flow seamlessly between the two systems. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this vision will manifest in 2021 due to even more valuable features we are working on.

• Is it possible to make any changes with automation rules to the details on the ticket, I am looking and don’t see a method to do this

• Ok so going to put this out there for what I have figured out so far and ask if anyone knows of any other things that can come over. 

The SWSD ticket action brings over automatically the following information 

In the Custom Attributes field for the SWSD alert action 

Title - Default links to the Orion variable ${N=Alerting;M=AlertName}

Now this links to the Title of the SWSD ticket and also auto links to the Name attribute as well

Description - Default links to the Orion variable ${N=Alerting;M=AlertMessage}

This links to the SWSD ticket description automatically and also displays a second time as the message attribute automatically as well. 

These two are already on the Orion ticket action by default, and display twice on the ticket when it gets generated.  

Also in the Entity Attributes section above it there several fields for data but they do not link to anything i see besides just displaying in the SWSD ticket attributes in the main body of the ticket. 

Now to step into some of what I spent figuring out.  So lets start with the Node ID field that needs to be included on the ticket for the CMDB integration to link the Orion ticket to the asset after its imported.  

The documentation tells you to use the Entity attributes and link the "Node ID" field.  As i was working on this with tickets I was seeing certain types of tickets that do not link properly because of how the field ends up displaying in the ticket, the name on tickets tied to hardware sensor based alert I think it was were named differently as opposed to a node based alert.  Now what the documentation doesn't make clear from what I saw was that it is just looking at the field name when it gets sent into the ticket.  So instead of using a Entity attribute field to bring the node ID over, I used the Custom attributes field since I can control the display name as it appears on the SWSD ticket.  

So now I can make sure I get the correct Orion query to grab the related node id and make sure the name is "node_id"  spelling has to be exact but case does not matter, so I enter on my actions as "Node_ID" and they still link. 

Now taking this a step further the tickets when they are generated seem to have the following keywords that they use:  "Title and Description" which are already there but you can also specify "Message, Name, Severity, Acknowledge_Time, Node_ID, Trigger_Time"

With this now if you don't what the Title and Name field to both show the same info, same with the Message and Description you can link these to separate Orion variables.  

Also for the Acknowledge_Time and Trigger_Time I did not like the format that they were displayed in so I linked them to ${N=Alerting;M=AcknowledgedTime;F=DateTime} and ${N=Alerting;M=AlertTriggerTime;F=DateTime} because I prefered the way it displayed the data.  

Also with the Acknowledgement time which comes over no matter what, and my ticket is created and not auto acknowledged it throws in a dummy time.  With this field it actually shows NEVER which is more accurate.  

So now I have more control on this data and how it displays and have half of what I want accomplished. Also the default body shows some of these fields like severity etc and I could also link it to my own custom plain text field or find a way to set blank if I wanted.  

So now I'm left with a few more questions besides the list that I have found so far are there any other fields that out of the box link to SWSD tickets and don't need any custom automation rules created, would be interested to know what is there out of the box, such as is it possible to have a  field that I bring over that could link the assignee, category, priority etc without having to use automation rules etc. 

The second question is that I have some HTML code mainly it seems in the Orion alert "Message displayed when this alert is triggered" field can include any type of HTML and it will work directly in the ticket.  With this I reference the Description to the Alert message field and then manually link the message field to something else so its not in there twice and I have more control on what is displayed etc on the alert.  Such as clickable hyperlinks back to the nodes in my Orion instance, the alerts dashboard or anything etc.  

This seems to somewhat work as a custom property on the alert or using the main alert description where I can put the HTML code there however when saving it strips out if I use a variable in the <A HREF> section but keeps the name and also I run into a character limit.  I can manually hard code a full URL and its fine just not a variable in that part of the HTML, any where else they are good.  

Reason I'm looking at this is the message filed is also displayed on the Orion Alerts Dashboard and it gets ugly.  So still looking at this and trying to figure out options that works that lets me keep both the ticket message and description for their intended purpose and have a way to reference something to get the HTML code as I want it.  So any ideas on these last two questions.  I also have another question out there where part of this is somewhat similar so will be updating that as well.   

• Ok so going to put this out there for what I have figured out so far and ask if anyone knows of any other things that can come over. 

The SWSD ticket action brings over automatically the following information 

In the Custom Attributes field for the SWSD alert action 

Title - Default links to the Orion variable ${N=Alerting;M=AlertName}

Now this links to the Title of the SWSD ticket and also auto links to the Name attribute as well

Description - Default links to the Orion variable ${N=Alerting;M=AlertMessage}

This links to the SWSD ticket description automatically and also displays a second time as the message attribute automatically as well. 

These two are already on the Orion ticket action by default, and display twice on the ticket when it gets generated.  

Also in the Entity Attributes section above it there several fields for data but they do not link to anything i see besides just displaying in the SWSD ticket attributes in the main body of the ticket. 

Now to step into some of what I spent figuring out.  So lets start with the Node ID field that needs to be included on the ticket for the CMDB integration to link the Orion ticket to the asset after its imported.  

The documentation tells you to use the Entity attributes and link the "Node ID" field.  As i was working on this with tickets I was seeing certain types of tickets that do not link properly because of how the field ends up displaying in the ticket, the name on tickets tied to hardware sensor based alert I think it was were named differently as opposed to a node based alert.  Now what the documentation doesn't make clear from what I saw was that it is just looking at the field name when it gets sent into the ticket.  So instead of using a Entity attribute field to bring the node ID over, I used the Custom attributes field since I can control the display name as it appears on the SWSD ticket.  

So now I can make sure I get the correct Orion query to grab the related node id and make sure the name is "node_id"  spelling has to be exact but case does not matter, so I enter on my actions as "Node_ID" and they still link. 

Now taking this a step further the tickets when they are generated seem to have the following keywords that they use:  "Title and Description" which are already there but you can also specify "Message, Name, Severity, Acknowledge_Time, Node_ID, Trigger_Time"

With this now if you don't what the Title and Name field to both show the same info, same with the Message and Description you can link these to separate Orion variables.  

Also for the Acknowledge_Time and Trigger_Time I did not like the format that they were displayed in so I linked them to ${N=Alerting;M=AcknowledgedTime;F=DateTime} and ${N=Alerting;M=AlertTriggerTime;F=DateTime} because I prefered the way it displayed the data.  

Also with the Acknowledgement time which comes over no matter what, and my ticket is created and not auto acknowledged it throws in a dummy time.  With this field it actually shows NEVER which is more accurate.  

So now I have more control on this data and how it displays and have half of what I want accomplished. Also the default body shows some of these fields like severity etc and I could also link it to my own custom plain text field or find a way to set blank if I wanted.  

So now I'm left with a few more questions besides the list that I have found so far are there any other fields that out of the box link to SWSD tickets and don't need any custom automation rules created, would be interested to know what is there out of the box, such as is it possible to have a  field that I bring over that could link the assignee, category, priority etc without having to use automation rules etc. 

The second question is that I have some HTML code mainly it seems in the Orion alert "Message displayed when this alert is triggered" field can include any type of HTML and it will work directly in the ticket.  With this I reference the Description to the Alert message field and then manually link the message field to something else so its not in there twice and I have more control on what is displayed etc on the alert.  Such as clickable hyperlinks back to the nodes in my Orion instance, the alerts dashboard or anything etc.  

This seems to somewhat work as a custom property on the alert or using the main alert description where I can put the HTML code there however when saving it strips out if I use a variable in the <A HREF> section but keeps the name and also I run into a character limit.  I can manually hard code a full URL and its fine just not a variable in that part of the HTML, any where else they are good.  

Reason I'm looking at this is the message filed is also displayed on the Orion Alerts Dashboard and it gets ugly.  So still looking at this and trying to figure out options that works that lets me keep both the ticket message and description for their intended purpose and have a way to reference something to get the HTML code as I want it.  So any ideas on these last two questions.  I also have another question out there where part of this is somewhat similar so will be updating that as well.   

Children
No Data