This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

how to pass parameters from catalog item to catalog item

I'm would like to have a catalog item trigger another catalog item, passing parameter values to it so the second/dependent/triggered on can execute.  Where can I find that documentation or demo on how to do that?

Thank you

atron591

Parents
  • We are planning to add a Create Record action in the future to more easily address this use case. Until then, here's an example of how you can accomplish the above using Process Integration.

For this example we will use two catalog items:

• Onboarding: An employee facing new employee onboarding request. It allows a requester to specify which laptop type they would like to receive
    • Shipping: An internal IT process for shipping a new laptop

The idea in this example is to, once the onboarding request is approved, create a separate request to ship the laptop to the requester. We will pass the laptop information from one catalog item to the other.

High level Steps to accomplish the above:

1. Create the onboarding catalog item and workflow. One of the variables/inputs will be Laptop Type. In this example we will use two values: Lenovo Carbon X1 and Dell 7200.
    2. Create the shipping catalog item and workflow. We will use here a variable called Laptop To Ship.It will have the same possible values as Laptop Type above.
    3. Create a Process Integration step/action in the onboarding workflow. This step will create the shipping request.

Step #1:

Step #2:

Step #3: 

Here's the auto created service request (following the submission of the onboarding request):

I hope this help.

Best,
    Daniel

• This is great!!  Might solve one of my biggest issues with the system.  Looking forward to this becoming easier to implement.

• Actually, it *almost* solves one of my biggest issues.  This requires having all of the necessary information in the originating request to pass to the downstream requests.  Definitely handy for breaking up certain catalog items, but not if more information is required by the downstream requests.

• Actually, it *almost* solves one of my biggest issues.  This requires having all of the necessary information in the originating request to pass to the downstream requests.  Definitely handy for breaking up certain catalog items, but not if more information is required by the downstream requests.

Children
No Data