Unable to filter specific subcategories

I think this is an unfortunate limitation of the system but am not 100% sure.  It appears impossible to create a view that filters out specific subcategories, because in order to get to subcategories you have to filter on category first.  The only way I can think of to accomplish this is to change the view to specifically include all categories AND all subcategories and leave out the subcategories I don't want.  That feels a bit obtuse and will lead to things being missed in the future if categories change.  The one other possible solution I can think of would be to create a new top level category.

Our use case: we are managing vulnerability response via Incidents because Problems don't have due dates or SLAs.  Thus on a quarterly basis we have a multitude of Incidents that aren't really incidents, and clog up the default Incident views.  These particular Incidents are in categories like Security -> Software Patch and Security -> Security Config Update.  Other security Incidents should show up in the default views, because they are Incidents, such as Security -> Malware.  So what I'd like to do is change the default views to show everything *except* Security->Software Patch and Security->Config Update.  However, this doesn't appear possible due to what I described above.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Top Replies

• Hi ,

Filtering enables to show incidents that match or do not match specific categories & subcategories. Unfortunately, the use case you described is not supported. I think that the solution…

Parents
  • Hi ,

Filtering enables to show incidents that match or do not match specific categories & subcategories. Unfortunately, the use case you described is not supported. I think that the solution, which you also mentioned, would be to use a top level category in this case. This also makes sense since these are 'problem incidents' that 'deserve' a category of their own.

Simon (ITSM Product Team)

• Hi ,

Filtering enables to show incidents that match or do not match specific categories & subcategories. Unfortunately, the use case you described is not supported. I think that the solution, which you also mentioned, would be to use a top level category in this case. This also makes sense since these are 'problem incidents' that 'deserve' a category of their own.

Simon (ITSM Product Team)

Children
No Data