This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Service Catalog processes requiring multiple participant inputs

So unless I've been missing something for quite a long time, I don't think there's a great way to accomplish what I'm after in a meaningful way.  The system can ALMOST accommodate using various techniques, but nothing is really satisfying.  Anyhow, I'm curious how people are dealing with workflows that really require inputs from multiple people in the real world.

For example: our onboarding process requires input from both HR and the hiring manager.  Currently we force all employee status requests through HR so that we get accurate data (e.g. names, reporting structure, etc), but HR has no idea if the new employee requires a laptop.  This puts HR in a position to ask the hiring manager offline, and because that's a pain they often just punt, which puts IT in a position to hunt people down.  So our workflows are somewhat cluttered with crumby tasks like "determine if they need a flippin computer" when someone chooses the "I dunno" option.

It really feels like the system should be able to handle things like this.  Process Stage 1 variables are completed by X, and Process Stage 2 variables are completed by Y, and then IT can do its thing.  Instead we're locked into a "one person gets one try to fill out these variables correctly and if they don't do it right then IT can just pick up the pieces."

Thoughts or suggestions?

Parents
  • Finally!  I'm in exactly the same position!  Have been wondering how I was going to make this solution bend to my will but haven't had the cycles to properly investigate.  And of course it involves onboarding and offboarding of users.  Nice to know I'm not the only one.  Can anyone describe the progress that has been made on this?  It seems some product managers were reaching out to previous posters.

• I met with Kfir after my original post and we went over this topic and other issues.  If I understood correctly, they are working (or planning on working) on at least one piece of functionality that could alleviate some of this problem.  I don't see anything on the roadmap that is specifically related, but perhaps some combination of upcoming enhancements will help.  I too would like to hear if there has been any progress.  Things here are getting worse, not better, and we are looking at splitting certain catalog items into multiples, with silly tasks like "make sure so-and-so creates service request."  With an ever-full queue of open tickets, this will create additional unwelcome management overhead.

• I met with Kfir after my original post and we went over this topic and other issues.  If I understood correctly, they are working (or planning on working) on at least one piece of functionality that could alleviate some of this problem.  I don't see anything on the roadmap that is specifically related, but perhaps some combination of upcoming enhancements will help.  I too would like to hear if there has been any progress.  Things here are getting worse, not better, and we are looking at splitting certain catalog items into multiples, with silly tasks like "make sure so-and-so creates service request."  With an ever-full queue of open tickets, this will create additional unwelcome management overhead.

Children
No Data