How is SWSD different from WHD?

How is SolarWinds Service Desk different from Web Help Desk?

Can SolarWinds provide a comparison matrix between the two offerings?

Is there potential to migrate from WHD to SWSD for those who are interested?  Or will SWSD have to be a whole new setup?

I don't know about my colleagues or if I've been out of touch with the forum, but I did not see this coming nor do I recall any sort of product pre-sales announcement or preview information by SolarWinds, there was just some announcement like this one that SWSD was here.

I've cross posted this in the WHD forum as well to get some feedback from those currently using WHD like my organization.

Parents
  • I've reached out to my SolarWinds rep to find out what's going on as I was about to renew our Web Help Desk licenses. Typically vendors give a heads up of their new product offerings, but this announcement seems all so sudden. Don't know if SolarWinds meant for it that way.  As soon as I receive more information on it I'm more than willing to share.

• They only acquired Samanage like a month or two ago, honestly I was a bit surprised they were able to flip it into their catalog so quickly, but being SaaS they may have just needed to rebrand some logos and pick up right where it was.

I would expect that unless you are ready for a forklift service desk replacement you may be fine to just continue to use the existing WHD you have.  If you are actually interested in trying something completely new and are into the SaaS model then it might be a good idea to contact the implementation team and see how the new product could work for you.  I would be very surprised if there is really going to be a "migration path" of any type put together as this product seems to be pretty significantly different from how WHD worked.  Looks like more of the modern ITIL centric approach built directly into it from the start.

• Since our teams all moved to hybrid working in 2020, the lack of cloud/mobile functionality for WHD became a real big problem this year.  We finally moved to Service Desk last month and now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.  The support for SD seems to be much better (and in clear English) than what I had for WHD, and it's integrated into the service with live chat.  

• Since our teams all moved to hybrid working in 2020, the lack of cloud/mobile functionality for WHD became a real big problem this year.  We finally moved to Service Desk last month and now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.  The support for SD seems to be much better (and in clear English) than what I had for WHD, and it's integrated into the service with live chat.  

Children
No Data