This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can you configure Solarwinds to ignore NIC interfaces that are in a "disabled" state?

Hi all,

I've just inherited a new install of Solarwinds and am fine tuning some of the config to reduce unnecessary alerts.

We have several Windows nodes where interfaces are enabled for monitoring, but are disabled in the OS.

As a result, Solarwinds reports "one or more interfaces are in an unknown state"

My question is, can you configure Solarwinds to ignore interfaces with a status of "disabled"? Yes i could stop monitoring them, but with hundreds of servers, if someone starts using one of these interfaces, i'm not going to know, and it isn't going to be monitored?

TIA for any help.

Parents
  • If you have SCM, This can monitor any hardware changes right? including NIC interfaces are now enabled.  

•   - This is probably a silly question, but how do i know if i'm using SCM? (still getting to grips with the SW component names). I'm not really sure what you're asking in the second part of your question. Yes i would expect SW to detect if the interface comes back into use, but that's not what i'm querying. I don't want SW to warn me if interfaces are in an "unknown state", when I know those interfaces are intentionally disabled. Hence it isn't an unknown state, its a known state.

• Take a look down the bottom of any page when you are viewing Orion, you'll see a string similar to this, which is taken from the Orion demo website:

Orion Platform, WPM, IPAM, SRM, VNQM, SCM, NCM, NPM, DPAIM, PM, LA, NTA, VMAN, UDT, SAM: 2020.2 Copyright 1999-2020 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

After 'Orion Platform', the acronyms represent the modules you are licensed for. 

• Take a look down the bottom of any page when you are viewing Orion, you'll see a string similar to this, which is taken from the Orion demo website:

Orion Platform, WPM, IPAM, SRM, VNQM, SCM, NCM, NPM, DPAIM, PM, LA, NTA, VMAN, UDT, SAM: 2020.2 Copyright 1999-2020 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

After 'Orion Platform', the acronyms represent the modules you are licensed for. 

Children