This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert based on multiple components of an application monitor

I have an Application Monitor with 3 Component Monitors: 2 Components that monitor Registry values and 1 Component that fetches info from our SCCM installation.  I want an alert that will trigger when the SCCM Component has a value of 2 and either of the Registry Components have a status of Warning.

I thought that it would be logical to base the Alert trigger on the Application, but there doesn't seem to be a built-in link between an Application and its Components for Alerting purposes.  However, I'm having trouble figuring out how an Alert triggered on Components would check on the status of multiple Components within an Application.  Any advice on how to achieve what I'm aiming for?

Parents
  • In English pseudo-SQL, what I'm looking for in a trigger is:

When an Application has the name "Monitor A"
    AND
    (The Component of Monitor A named "Component 1" is in status "Warning"
    OR
    The Component of Monitor A named "Component 2" is in status "Warning")
    AND
    The Component of Monitor A named "Component 3" has a value of 2

• Hi

You got two options (at least)

You can create a custom SWQL alert, writing what you just did in SWQL 

Or you can create an alert rule with "advanced options"/"Complex conditions". There you can specify multiple sections with what you want:

• Hi Seashore!

I considered the Complex Conditions option, but I couldn't think of a way to make it work.  That option seems to be designed to allow you to set up conditions on separate objects, which is not what I want.  I want to trigger on a single object, an Application, based on conditions of its constituent Components.  I can't see a way to link the Complex Conditions together that way.

I was aware of the Custom SWQL or Custom SQL options, but I'm not good enough with SWQL or SQL to build that myself.  I guess I'll have to submit a ticket to SolarWinds Support to get help building such a thing.

Thanks for the reply!

• Hi Seashore!

I considered the Complex Conditions option, but I couldn't think of a way to make it work.  That option seems to be designed to allow you to set up conditions on separate objects, which is not what I want.  I want to trigger on a single object, an Application, based on conditions of its constituent Components.  I can't see a way to link the Complex Conditions together that way.

I was aware of the Custom SWQL or Custom SQL options, but I'm not good enough with SWQL or SQL to build that myself.  I guess I'll have to submit a ticket to SolarWinds Support to get help building such a thing.

Thanks for the reply!

Children
No Data