This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring failover cluster file server role

Hi all,

I'm running a multi host Windows cluster and in this cluster I have a file server role, I'd like to monitor this so that I can get alerts when it has stopped.

This is a clustered role, not a Windows VM hosting file shares - The role does not have it's own IP address as it will use the IP address from the current owner node, I also can't add it by cluster VIP, since Solarwinds pulls through information for one of the hosts on the cluster. The owner node can change automatically if there are issues with the current owner, so I'd need to be able to monitor it wherever it moves to.

Many thanks,

• Never had this, but looks like you could run a powershell monitor in SAM with something like "$results = Test-Cluster –Node Server1, Server2" at the core in remote mode

• Thanks for the suggestion on powershell Monitor, Adam.

I have now got it working by doing the following:

Installed Failover clustering tools from RSAT on the SolarWinds application server

Granted the SolarWinds application server Read permission to the cluster in failover cluster manager

Then created a powershell monitor script and then assigned it to the SolarWinds application server, this then runs as my SolarWinds service account which has domain admin privileges (Not sure if this is required but our service account has it). 

Script:

import-module failoverclusters
    $FileServer = Get-ClusterResource -Cluster CLUSTERNAME -Name "ROLE NAME"

if ($FileServer.state -eq "Online")
    {
    write-host 'Statistic:' 0
    }
    Else
    {
    write-host 'Statistic:' 3
    }

SolarWinds accepts statistic 0 as UP and 3 as CRITICAL: Windows PowerShell Monitor (solarwinds.com)

I have tested this by targeting the file server role, which is online and it appears as online in my application monitor, then I copied the template and targeted a VM which is offline, just to prove that is can report the application as down, which is does.