This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Inactive Account Removal Tool Error

Hi,

I've been trying to work on cleaning up our AD environment of inactive accounts. I've tried using both AD Tidy and Solarwinds Inactive Account Removal Tool, and both are returning an Access Denied error when trying to delete accounts.

I am using an admin account that can delete AD accounts manually no problem. I have temporarily disabled UAC to see if that was the issue as someone recommended online, to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to clear up this error? I know that there are Powershell scripts to do this that may work, but I would also like one of the tools to work as well.

Thanks in advanced!

Parents
  • Bump.  Is anyone able to assist with this?  Solarwinds support won't help because this is a free tool.

• are there any logs that you can find?

• I have tried looking for the logs, but have been unable to find where the program stores the logs.  I have it marked as logging verbose, but not sure where it's saving.  I have tried the install directory, tried looking in APPDATA, and Documents.

• Ah, thank you!  Here is what the error log reads after trying to delete a user via the tool.

2021-11-22 07:58:18,358 [3] ERROR ADRemoval.Logger - Item Besadmin LDAP://SO-AD/CN=Besadmin,OU=Resource Accounts,OU=Anderson Law Group,DC=alglaw,DC=com failed to be deleted
    2021-11-22 07:58:18,393 [3] ERROR ADRemoval.Logger - Item delete process failed
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.

at System.DirectoryServices.Interop.UnsafeNativeMethods.IAdsContainer.Delete(String className, String relativeName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.Remove(DirectoryEntry entry)
       at ADRemoval.AdController.DeleteItemsWithNotifications(List`1 items, Action`2 notifyDeleteItem)

• Ah, thank you!  Here is what the error log reads after trying to delete a user via the tool.

2021-11-22 07:58:18,358 [3] ERROR ADRemoval.Logger - Item Besadmin LDAP://SO-AD/CN=Besadmin,OU=Resource Accounts,OU=Anderson Law Group,DC=alglaw,DC=com failed to be deleted
    2021-11-22 07:58:18,393 [3] ERROR ADRemoval.Logger - Item delete process failed
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.

at System.DirectoryServices.Interop.UnsafeNativeMethods.IAdsContainer.Delete(String className, String relativeName)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.Remove(DirectoryEntry entry)
       at ADRemoval.AdController.DeleteItemsWithNotifications(List`1 items, Action`2 notifyDeleteItem)

Children
No Data