This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Tips for planning a cloud migration of a server?

We currently have a system that we are running on-premises, that management wants to get options regarding moving into AWS (as a series of VMs)

This is my first time doing this kind of evaluation, and I'm worried about the normal stuff - cost over time, IO, storage, all that.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can leverage Orion to do this? We have over a year's worth of data on the various on-prem servers in SAM and VMAN, so I should be able to look at trends over that time. I'm just not sure where is the best place to look.

Parents
  • Few tips for cloud migration of a server:

- Establish the migration-architect role
    - Choose your level of cloud integration
    - Choose a single cloud or go multi-cloud
    - Establish cloud KPIs
    - Establish performance baselines
    - Prioritize migration components
    - Perform any necessary refactoring
    - Create a data-migration plan
    - Switch over production
    - Review application resource allocation

Keep these points in mind for cloud migration of a server..

Regards,
    J wick

• somewhere between your create a data migration plan and switch over to production there needs to be some validation and testing of the data once it is in place.  You need to re-establish new baselines as well.  

Reply Children
No Data