This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows PowerShell Monitor - Output Message History

When we create a Windows PowerShell Monitor, we can output the Message and Statistic data. In the database, we can see the current message data:

Orion.APM.MultipleStatisticData (StringData field)

Is there a way to see the historical value for those? I had a component go down over the weekend and I'm looking to investigate why, but the why of it would be in the message output, not in the statistic (since it's string not integer).

Parents
  • This is a custom query widget I use for that kind of scenario, 

SELECT max(pe.ComponentStatus.timestamp) as Latest, pe.ErrorMessage as Message
    FROM Orion.APM.PortEvidence pe
    where pe.ComponentStatus.ComponentID = ${componentid}
    group by pe.ErrorMessage

order by Latest desc

SELECT pe.ComponentStatus.timestamp as Timestamps, pe.ErrorMessage as Message
    and pe.errormessage like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'
    order by Timestamps desc

• I just confirmed and that query works for messages from SQL monitors, but not for messages in powershell scripts (why would we use the same tables for similar data right?).  So this version does a union between the two tables where these kind of messages might live, depending on the type of components we generate stats and messages from

SELECT max(TimeStamp) as LatestTimestamp 
    , cs.Component.Name 
    , cs.Component.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Name] 
    , cs.DynamicEvidence.ColumnLabel as Label 
    , cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData as Message 

FROM Orion.APM.ComponentStatus cs 

where cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData is not null 
    and cs.Component.ComponentID = ${componentid}
    --and cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

group by cs.Component.Name , cs.Component.DetailsUrl, cs.DynamicEvidence.ColumnLabel, cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData

union all (
    SELECT max(pe.ComponentStatus.timestamp) as LatestTimestamp
    , pe.ComponentStatus.component.Name
    , pe.ComponentStatus.Component.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Name] 
    , '' as Label
    , pe.ErrorMessage as Message
    --and pe.ErrorMessage like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

group by pe.ErrorMessage, pe.ComponentStatus.component.Name, pe.ComponentStatus.Component.DetailsUrl
    )

order by LatestTimestamp desc

You might or might not want to do the max() part, in my case I only am interested in unique values for the messages and how recently they came in, but if you just want every message you can ditch the group by and the max() stuff

• I just confirmed and that query works for messages from SQL monitors, but not for messages in powershell scripts (why would we use the same tables for similar data right?).  So this version does a union between the two tables where these kind of messages might live, depending on the type of components we generate stats and messages from

SELECT max(TimeStamp) as LatestTimestamp 
    , cs.Component.Name 
    , cs.Component.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Name] 
    , cs.DynamicEvidence.ColumnLabel as Label 
    , cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData as Message 

FROM Orion.APM.ComponentStatus cs 

where cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData is not null 
    and cs.Component.ComponentID = ${componentid}
    --and cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

group by cs.Component.Name , cs.Component.DetailsUrl, cs.DynamicEvidence.ColumnLabel, cs.DynamicEvidence.StringData

union all (
    SELECT max(pe.ComponentStatus.timestamp) as LatestTimestamp
    , pe.ComponentStatus.component.Name
    , pe.ComponentStatus.Component.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Name] 
    , '' as Label
    , pe.ErrorMessage as Message
    --and pe.ErrorMessage like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

group by pe.ErrorMessage, pe.ComponentStatus.component.Name, pe.ComponentStatus.Component.DetailsUrl
    )

order by LatestTimestamp desc

You might or might not want to do the max() part, in my case I only am interested in unique values for the messages and how recently they came in, but if you just want every message you can ditch the group by and the max() stuff

Children
  • The query seems to be missing the message during a down condition. Here's what I mean:

The component went down at 8:43 PM on Sunday. The query shows this:

(This assumes UTC - we're UTC -7 - though I did also check if it was toLocal and it's same results). I was expecting to see something like this:

Click more (bottom right)

• Turns out, the 'down' condition in my code prevents the statistic value and message from being recorded (not my favorite behavior), but that means I'll just need to update the code to exit critical when errors are encountered and I'll treat, for this alert, critical as down. That said, this query was great. Thank you!