This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Monitoring

Hi!

We use SAM solarwinds. I want to set up a simple SQL monitoring and do not want to use the template Appinsight SQL .. What I want to monitor is if the SQL server service is running on the server and then I want to know if the database on the server is running or not. Very simple then. What is required, account? How do I set it up in SAM?

• So, you should only use THIS template on SQL servers, of no SQL instance is found the component will be down.

If you have this template on all your SQL servers and they have SQL installed as a default instance, you should not be needing to change it.

I try to learn that  in orion monitoring is one thing and alerting another. Just because you monitor something it does not automatically mean you will get an alert. BUT if you have one alert rule that alerts if a component id down, then you will get an alert if you apply this template and it does not find the service. 

• I want this monitoring on all my SQL servers but they can have different instance names. Could i use this template?

• Yes. Assign the template to all SQL servers and edit the once that have different instance names. ("Override template")