This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Possible to pull data from Application Insights from Azure?

Hey everyone,

Our development have asked if I can use SolarWinds to collect data from Azure Application Insights that they have configured in azure.

What is Azure Application Insights? - Azure Monitor | Microsoft Docs

I have successfully configured Azure app service monitoring but there are metrics on their Azure Application Insights that would be useful to pull down and monitor centrally.

I've had a quick look around but I keep only getting articles relating to SolarWinds own App Insights. I did come across Loggly but this appears to be an alternative to using Azure's app insights, rather than integrating with it.

Monitoring Azure Logs and Metrics With SolarWinds Loggly | Loggly

Many thanks,

• , I would imagine you could use API polling  or PowerShell script component monitors to poll the Application Insights from Azure. From the documentation it looks like they have some sort of API that can be queried

• There is a template in SAM called "Microsoft Azure App Service", can that one help?

• That's the one I currently have setup but it only targets specific app services, our portal resource groups contain other services such as functions and SQL databases. That already feeds data to Azure App Insights and so I was hoping to target that to obtain all information, rather than configuring separate SAM components.

• Thanks Chris, I will have a read and see if it provides the functionality I am after.

• Ok, than I am also very interested in what you find out. Will have to do that myself in a couple of weeks :-)

• I've managed to get an API GET returning data to SolarWinds:

First I located an Azure Application Insight I wanted to query and then copied the application ID from the "API Access" tab:

Application ID Example: 0d4857re-e33e-3o03-73fe-28ab66fhtu7

(This is not my key, this is just random letters and numbers as an example, but yours will look similar)

Then on that same API Access tab, click on "Create API key" at the top and then generate an API Key. - Make note of this as you cannot go back and view it after you have made it

Then in SolarWinds I have an external node pointing to portal.azure.com, I went into the node and created an API Poller:

I created a custom poller using the following GET (Use the application ID you noted earlier and add it to the request URL)

api.applicationinsights.io/.../count

Before running this, you will need to add the API key for authentication, so click on Configure in the top right

The name can be anything you want but the key must be "x-api-key", then paste in the API key you generated earlier and click save

You can now send the request to see if you successfully got a response:

My next challenge is to see where this data is saved and what options are available in regards to presenting it in a readable format. The goal here is to create custom dashboards for specific portals within Azure.

• Did you manage to make any progress with this? I am in a similar position trying to pull information from Azure Application Insights
    Thanks