This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling IP on external nodes with dynamic IP not updating

One of my external nodes with a dynamic IP went down. Only it didn't - its IP address changed, and Solarwinds didn't refresh it despite it being supposedly "dynamic".

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 9.06.32 PM.png

Attempts to refresh that IP address manually fail so far. E.g. I unchecked "Dynamic IP Address", clear the "Polling IP Address" field, re-check "Dynamic", try to "submit", and it's asking me to type the "correct" IP address. In kindergarten, they told me that when an IP is dynamic, you're not supposed to type it, it'll magically appear based on a DNS name or URL.

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 9.18.41 PM.png

Questions:

1. Is SAM (NPM) capable of monitoring an external node with a dynamic IP? Based on a discussion from 2011 such as, Why does NPM store the IP rather than use DNS, the answer is seemingly "no", the issue affects not just external nodes, been much complained about, was supposed to be reviewed (in 2011), yet apparently hasn't. Does this sound right?
  2. In the 2nd screenshot above, why isn't is there an option to resolve the IP address? (I.e. what is the logic behind asking for an IP address on a node with a dynamic one?)
  3. Assuming SAM doesn't do it on its own (continuously resolve DNS names like it is supposed to), is there a way to force it to, manually, via UI?
    1. I.e. is there a method simpler / more elegant than change the node to a static IP type, type in the new IP, change back to dynamic?

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children