This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware monitoring HPE Proliant Gen10

We are currently using the HP Device Monitor Service for Agentless Server software solution to monitor Gen8 / Gen9 servers. For Windows server, we use HP's WBEM Providers / System Management Agents. With Gen10 servers, HPE no longer supports this solution. What is the proper way to monitor hardware now on Gen10 servers? We have the agent installed, but not getting the hardware information.

Currently using Orion Platform 2017.3.1 SP1, NPM 12.2, SAM 6.4.0.

Parents
  • I Struggled with this for a few hours as well, but got this working. We've always previously polled for HP Hardware health using SNMP, but this was no longer working on Gen 10 Servers out of the box. (We were specifically using DL360 Gen10 Servers).  We have a Custom SNMP Script to Poll the Hardware Health OID Values over SNMP using WhatsUpGold, But on Gen 10 Servers, we could only see the NIC Status using SNMP.

We resolved this by doing the following:

1) Ensure the HP Agentless Management Service is installed and Enabled (If you install the OS using HP Provisioning, this is installed automatically):

This service is what handles Passing OS info over to ILO which took over managing the Hardware info out of band.

2) Make sure you enable the SMA Service in the OS (System Management Assistant Service):

This service is disabled by default. Change it to Automatic Startup, and Start the Service. Your SNMP Polling for Hardware health should start working.

After making these changes, we were able to successfully Poll for all hardware health on Gen 10 Servers.

After failing to Google this info, i found it in the following ILO5 Article:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00018324en_us

Start on Page 239 for AMS. Page 241 Starts talking about SMA.

There are instructions for doing these Steps on Windows, Linux, Vmware, Etc in the Doc.

I hope this helps others.

-Mike

• "After making these changes, we were able to successfully Poll for all hardware health on Gen 10 Servers."

Through ilo or server ?

If you are doing this through ilo, nothing new, we were doing this already

• To Clarify, After making these Changes we we're finally able to poll

hardware health through the OS.

• wonderful, it works!

AMS was installed, but I did not seen the subtlety between AMS vs SMA

(rtfm !!)

Thanks mehinkle

• Glad I could Help.

I wasted hours on this issue over several days, so when I found the info in

the ILO documentation, I figured I would create an account on the Message

board and Share.