This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Performance Counter Monitor - Bad Input Pameter - HResult

We are running 'Active Directory 2008 R2 Services and Counters' template on 10+ domain controllers and all report correctly except for one trouble server. The service monitors work correctly but the performance counter monitors are failing with the error: "Bad input parameter. HResult: The specified object is not found on the system."

pastedImage_0.png

I've searched around and tried the following fixes:

• Restarting Remote Registry - http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/169647#169647
  • Restarting WMI
  • Adding Network Service as COM Services Admin
  • Microsoft Remote Registry Hotfix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2699780
  • Checked license availability for application monitors
  • Rebooted Server
  • Tried to rebuild the performance counters
    • pastedImage_13.png
  • Ran Perfmon from the Solarwinds Server, managed the not working server and selected several counters from above that are not working via the web browser and they monitored correctly
    • pastedImage_1.png

• I thought it might be a permissions issue but I ran PerfMon from a working DC and managed the not woring DC and it reported correctly. I tried this in reverse and it also worked correctly.

Our setup is:

Orion Platform 2013.1.0, SAM 5.5.0, IPAM 4.0, NCM 7.2, NPM 10.5, NTA 3.11.0, IVIM 1.6.0, VNQM 4.0.1

• This has been fixed/corrected. Thank you Kate @ Solarwinds!

The issue is simply that the counter is not present on the problem server. The application monitor is polling for Category: NTDS.

pastedImage_2.png

If you look at a working Domain Controller, the Counter is there:

pastedImage_0.png

But on the not working server it is not there:

pastedImage_0.png

For this server we had to override the template and change the counter to DirectoryServices:

pastedImage_3.png

This is odd because both servers are Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  No differences that I know of.

It appears the working servers have BOTH counter categories, DirectoryServices and NTDS where-as the not working server is missing NTDS.

Thanks to all for the help!

• Side note: I also had to add a instance of NTDS:

pastedImage_0.png

You can find this in the Performance Monitor:

pastedImage_1.png

Yours might be different.

• My pleasure and thanks for updating the thread! emoticons_happy.png

• Anytime!

For anyone who might read this, I am 90% sure that this was caused because the Domain controller was promoted, demoted and then re-promoted to domain controller status.

I noticed that the performance folder was missing from the registry on the not working domain controller but was there on a working domain controller.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Performance

I exported NTDS from the a working Domain Controller and imported.

pastedImage_0.png

I tested and it work!

pastedImage_1.png