This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Server and Application Monitor 6.9.1 - Node based licensing

I updated Solarwinds to the latest and greatest and was reading the What's New in SAM 6.9.1 and saw the Node Based Licensing and included free Additional Polling Engines...

pastedImage_0.png

When I go to view my license page I see this

pastedImage_5.png

So I am wondering what is up with this?  Do I have the APE and node licensing in SAM? Do I have unlimited nodes in SAM?   And I have tried to contact my sales person but they never get back to me unless I am dropping cash and that is all I will say to keep this conversation civil. emoticons_wink.png

Thanks!

Dave

• Your existing component based license has not changed. SAM 6.9.1 simply introduced the option or possibility to purchase node based licenses. There is a conversion from component to node based available but you would need to talk to the aforementioned sales person for the exact detail about how to make that change if you think it is a better option for you. Outside of that there is no change to your existing license and you would not have access to the included polling engines unless you make the change to node based.

• I have been asking this question for some time and no one has been able to explain it.  Thank you!!

• I have been looking into this as well, and I believe that sales reps should be able to make the conversion for us - however from what I understand once you convert from component-based licensing to node-based licensing you cannot go back...

I'm confused with how node-based licenses are applied.  Can I select which nodes to license with SAM, or does it simply apply to all nodes in our organization?  For example, if I have 5 print servers and 5 SQL servers do I need 10 SAM node-based licenses, even though there are no applications I want to monitor on the 5 print servers?  I would assume we would be able to select the nodes we want to license with SAM, but I haven't been able to find any clarification on this yet in the existing documentation. 

It would be nice to know how this works before making an irreversible change to our licenses.

• Can I select which nodes to license with SAM, or does it simply apply to all nodes in our organization?

All "managed" nodes - i.e. all directly monitored nodes including ICMP ones. (Yes, you read that right emoticons_happy.png)

It would be nice to know how this works before making an irreversible change to our licenses.

We'll hold off on that - as the new license is a 4x price increase for us. If at any point the new licensing is a requirement, we won't upgrade and won't renew.