This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM 2020.2 Release Candidate Now Available

It is my pleasure to announce that the SAM 2020.2 Release Candidate is now available in your customer portal

Each release candidate is a fully tested and supported version of the product and you can upgrade current production servers, while retaining your complete configuration and history.

Version 2020.2 is the next release following SAM 2019.4.1 and is compatible with Orion Platform 2020.2

What's New

Release notes and system requirements for SAM 2020.2 and related Orion releases can be found on this release summary

Many of the features in this release are mentioned on the WWWO product roadmap

With the SAM RC, comes a new platform that comes chock full of fantastic improvements: 

• Monitor up to 1,000,000 elements per Orion Platform instance.
    • For SAM components the limit is increased to be 550,000 components per SAM installation. 
  • An Orion Map to Success! - Orion Maps improvements, such as creating and customizing text boxes, labels, or layouts, incorporating custom icons, adding shapes, dynamic backgrounds, bulk administration and all new Time Travel.
  • Performance enhancements
  • Dashboards, Dashboards, Get Your Dashboards! - New Custom Summary Dashboards
  • A Gateway To Your Fastest Upgrade Ever! - Upgrade improvements, such as pre-staging upgrades, upgrade plan reports, automating upgrades via Orion SDK
  • Enhanced volume status
  • 3rd Party Language Pack Support - scripts to extract UI texts from the Orion Web Console

Watch the forum for updates, even if you're not able to install now. The product team will continue to release new documents with detailed deep dives of the mentioned features. If there's one you're particularly interested in, mention it in the comments!

Your Feedback Counts!

The team is incredibly interested in your feedback, and what's even better is that when you participate by downloading and installing the RC, you get THWACK points. More importantly your feedback shapes our products. Post your thoughts, questions and concerns into the RC forum and not only will you be able to get some SolarWinds swag, but we the SAM team will be watching for input to make the product better and better. In addition, sometimes you'll come up with a brand new feature ideas that we would want to consider for a future version. The best place to capture those ideas would be Server & Application Monitor Feature Requests and as you can see from our What We're Working On For Server & Application Monitor (Updated July, 2019)  page, we take those inputs very seriously.

• -- 3rd Party Language Pack Support - scripts to extract UI texts from the Orion Web Console

Where is this feature?

• Hi there! glad to see you're interested in this feature! This is part of the orion platform (see: https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/orionplatform/Content/Release_Notes/Orion_Platform_2020-2_release_notes.htm ). The best people to walk you through your questions here are:   and  on this particular feature. What language are you looking to support? 

• Hi  

The Orion Language Pack Development Kit is a set of PowerShell-based scripts designed for exporting existing and deploying or reverting custom language packs for SolarWinds Orion-based product(s) which will be available when we GA the release.

It provides users with the tools necessary to collect resource files including the de complication of required files which can then be translated using any text editor. Once translated these files can be compiled and packaged into a format and structure which can be deployed as an additional language pack.

The Language Pack Development Kit is intended to streamline the process of language pack creation and application, it does not provide the means to perform actual string translation.

The Orion Database is not affected by the deployment of a custom language pack. All existing data remains in the primary language e.g. widget names, existing events, alerts, and reports.

• Does 2020.2 allow the API poller to exchange and use tokens?

• is it possible to unmanage only the API Poller?

why not an application, it would be much more easier to handle with it?

•  This is exactly where I am hung up. I do not see how it does.

I am specifically trying to use API Polling with Azure using the Out of Box templates and also custom created API Polling templates. The OoB templates have GET requests that are legitimate and would work. However, without a POST request to receive a valid token and pass it through, there is no way for the GET requests to work because you cannot authenticate to Azure REST.

I am beginning to think this major feature was released without it actually being tested. I have engaged my Account Manager, who is talking with an engineer, and so far nobody has been able to say how this actually works with Azure REST API polling.

Additionally, when creating authentication credentials for API Polling, there is nowhere to modify them after they are created. At least nowhere that I can find in the web console. I read an article that said they are supposed to reside in the Global SAM Settings Credentials Library, but they are not there.

I'm starting to get nervous because I'm sitting on a platform (2020.2) that is claimed to be fully tested and supported, but seems to be filled with unfinished work that nobody is familiar with.

• This feature has been tested, I assure you. I'm working on a walk through document for you. You're right, you cannot modify the credentials via the UI, you'll want to add a new one. It's a request we're tracking to add some UI support for better modification. 

•  you can delete the API poller, and just reassign an Azure template. 

•  I very much appreciate your help! I know this will go a long way for myself as well as others!