This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Merging Templates/Creating Custom Component

I'm working on a VBScript that is used to parse a web page for information.  Due to the vagaries of the system, this web page is the only source of the necessary information and the format of the web page is in the hands of a third party company.  When all is said and done, there will be 48 instances of this monitor in place which will require the script to be changed in 48 different places if the format of the web page is changed.

What I would like to do is create a new component so that modifications only need to take place in one location that is populated out to all the rest.  I've tried creating a template then assigning that template to another template without success.  I've also spoken with the technical support and was told this isn't possible, but I got the feeling that the tech I spoke with didn't really understand what I was trying to do.

Creating a custom component seems like a very basic feature.

Any ideas on how I can go about doing this?

Parents Reply Children
  • 3 nodes need to be monitored.  For each node there will be 16 different components.   Script/code will be the same for all with different command line arguments based on node and regex filter.

I considered using the script on its own as a template and adding it 16 times to each node, but then management becomes a pain when I have to go into 48 different screens (as opposed to 3 screens with 16 expansions) to setup the command line arguments.

• You can apply the template with the same script to all three nodes and then modify the command line arguments for each instance. This will allow you make a single change to the master template script and all nodes that have this script applied will inherit the changes but the command line arguments for each node that the template is applied to can be unique.

• Overcomplicated maintenance is what I'm trying to avoid.  If I add the template to a node then I will have to add it 16 times to that node.  To modify the command lines I have to then go into each individual component screen.  Since the monitors are basically all monitoring individual parts of a whole it makes more sense to organize them as components of an Application Monitor than individual Application Monitors on their own.

By creating 1 master template with the 16 individual scripts I can minimize the hassles under the current scheme.  Changes to the scripts only need to be done in 16 places, and changes to the command lines can be done on 3 screens instead of 48.  It isn't as efficient as I would like it to be, but still more efficient than 48 individual APMs.

What I would like to be able to do is create a stand alone component.  This component can then be added to a template (just like any other component) as many times as necessary.  If a change to the script needs to be made I only need to change the component once instead of the current 16 times, while still minimizing the number of different screens I need to go into for command line modifications and maintaining a cleaner organization.

Would you be able to point me to where in the database the components are stored?  I could probably just create one in there myself.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bobross

I need something like this as well.  I have a Windows Powershell Script component that I'd like to add ~30 instances of to a single template which I would then like to deploy to several nodes.  I have worked around this by adding a single Windows Powershell Script component to an application monitor template and then deployed that template multiple times to each node.  It would be great if I could create a custom component that is based on the Windows Powershell Script component and which includes my script and then deploy it multiple times in the same template, changing only the script argument.

• This sounds like the exact scenario I am in. This thread is from 8 years ago and the ability to create custom components seems like a basic building block of the platform. Was this ever addressed? 

I am just getting started in Solarwinds but the lack of such a feature would single handily make me question it as a platform.