This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Displaying Cause of Component Events

This is has been a thorn in my side with SAM forever and I posted about this in 2014. There still doesn't seem to be a way to simply show why a component is in a "Critical", "Down", or "Warning" state. When looking at a component's page, we can see the event list;

pastedImage_1.png

You can also display this on another page with the Application Status resource. What you can't do is show WHY the component is in that state. In the example shot above, it shows that SQL Server is the component and in my case this is usually because the SQL server has high memory or CPU. The only way to see this is to drill down to the component page itself, where it actually shows that. It would be extremely helpful if you could display this info with the component event, IE:

Component "SQL Server" 98% memory. Telling me something is Warning or Critical is not helpful if I have to take extra steps to find out why. If anyone knows of a way to do this, I would love the solution.

Parents
  • Appreciate the answers. These solutions are a lot of legwork and I'm not sure they address what I'm after. Also, I'm not using AppInsight at all.

If MSSQLServer was using 98% memory, it would show on the component page like my screen shot (note, i wasnt able to reproduce a problem for the shot).

What I'd like is to show this detail on say, the home page, but there is no resource for components that will show that. I can add the "Applications With Problems" resource, which is what I'm currently using, but it ONLY tells me a component is Warning or Critical, etc. What it doesn't do is show me the memory use is high, which is the cause for the app being critical or warning. I've never understood why a monitoring system like Orion can't do this out of the box. Seems like something as simple as a "Components With Problems" resource that would actually show you this might help.

It's starting to look like without some heavy customization of alerts, or some complicated SQL query this is just not possible. Mind boggling considering this was an annoying issue five years ago, and still is.

pastedImage_0.png

• Appreciate the answers. These solutions are a lot of legwork and I'm not sure they address what I'm after. Also, I'm not using AppInsight at all.

If MSSQLServer was using 98% memory, it would show on the component page like my screen shot (note, i wasnt able to reproduce a problem for the shot).

What I'd like is to show this detail on say, the home page, but there is no resource for components that will show that. I can add the "Applications With Problems" resource, which is what I'm currently using, but it ONLY tells me a component is Warning or Critical, etc. What it doesn't do is show me the memory use is high, which is the cause for the app being critical or warning. I've never understood why a monitoring system like Orion can't do this out of the box. Seems like something as simple as a "Components With Problems" resource that would actually show you this might help.

It's starting to look like without some heavy customization of alerts, or some complicated SQL query this is just not possible. Mind boggling considering this was an annoying issue five years ago, and still is.

pastedImage_0.png

Children
  • Yeah, it's a pain point and has no easy solution because each type of component has really widely different situations that can cause them to display as critical, and nothing built in tracks them for us.  So at this point the best that can be done is to build up a mess of SQL/SWQL to test for each scenario and basically say "if the component is a process, check these 6 things, if it's a script check these. emoticons_sad.png