Setup FTP download from vb.net or PowerShell script.

I'm trying to create a script to download a file to a PC. I setup the download domain and set a user up in that domain. I then created my script with the user and password and I can connect, get the file, although it is not the full file. The file is 347Kb and it only downloads 14kb. I looked on the server and it never shows I logged in. How would one setup a download of this sorts? I can't use WinSCP or any other download client, this has to be silent from the users PC.

• Hi it sounds like a configuration problem or code issue. If you try with the GUI version of WinSCP this will verify the server is set up correctly and then you can use the command-line tools in WinSCP to transfer files 'silently' without the need for interaction. There is documentation here: winscp.net/.../scripting

• Thanks Calc2014,

I tried with WinSCP, this is what I get

2022-08-31 10:30:09.568 Connecting to ftp.server ...
    . 2022-08-31 10:30:09.568 Connected with ftp.server. Waiting for welcome message...
    < 2022-08-31 10:30:09.584 220 Serv-U FTP Server v15.3.1 ready...
    > 2022-08-31 10:30:09.584 USER username
    < 2022-08-31 10:30:09.595 331 User name okay, need password.
    > 2022-08-31 10:30:09.595 PASS ********
    < 2022-08-31 10:30:09.637 530 Not logged in.
    . 2022-08-31 10:30:09.637 Connection failed.
    . 2022-08-31 10:30:09.647 Password prompt (last login attempt failed)
    * 2022-08-31 10:30:10.494 (ESshFatal)

I have setup many users to connect, but now it seems it doesn't work as it use to. I can't use WinSPC in the code because it requires the SSH-RSA key which each time you upgrade Serv-U it creates a new key. This makes our users have to update the application each time before running it. I am trying to minimized that. I've tried just about every setting. Even regular FTP, no encryption, still doesn't allow me in

• If you look at the Domain Activity log when you try the above, does it give any other info? It may be that the user doesnt have permission assigned in Serv-U to access their home folder.

• When I try in WinSCP, it prompts for the password, enter password, prompts again. The Domain Activity log does not even show I am hitting it. Which is weird, I have the listeners setup correctly, at least I think I do lol. Its shouldn't be hard if you use the wizard to setup the domain. Which I did. Maybe I will delete it and try to add it again.

• So I deleted the domain, added my user to an existing domain and limited it to a certain directory. I can now login with WinSCP, with SFTP. But the code I am using is only allowing me to use HTTPS. Apparently we can't use Https?

• Sounds like another domain was already listening on the same IP address and port.

You can use WinSCP command line to transfer files without a GUO in scripts, details here: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/scripting

I'm not sure what code you have so I cant really advise on that, but serv-u supports FTP(S) and SFTP for file transfers and there are lots of applications and libraries that support this.

• So basically I can't use HTTPs to do what I want? I also said I cannot use WinSCP to do this as it requires -hostkey="ssh-rsa 2048 xxxx..." which changes every time I upgrade Serv-u. So therefore I can't keep updating users computers each and every time we upgrade Serv-u. So far I can use any code that I find and it doesn't work.

for instance, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/network-programming/how-to-download-files-with-ftp

if I use "ftp://" server-u states (530) Not logged in.' Yet I do not see me even hitting the server in the logs, that is the response I get from the code.

• If it isnt showing in the logs, there is probably something else listening on port 21, or you may be looking at the server log rather than the domain log