This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SEM Malware Detection

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding the malware detecting capabilities of SEM. I am trying to test out how well it can detect some different malicious programs that may makes their way onto end devices such as Trojans, RATs or Worms.

I have an environment set up locally with multiple Windows 10 end devices and a SolarWinds server running on ESXI. All end device successfully connect to and send events to the SEM however when I put malicious .exe files onto a host device then run then the SEM shows no signs of detecting these or what they are doing

They are detected and quarantined by Windows Defender but when that is turned off temporarily to test the SEM abilities it does not show any threat events.

From what I have seen, I believe I need to set up specific rules for it to report these events but am un-sure how these rules should be structured or set up to detect and report or prevent these applications/programs.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Parents
  • SEM isn't a malware prevention software... it's a SIEM.  It's made to take and correlate all of your security event sources and make sense of all the data.  If you have SEP, McAfee, or other software SEM can monitor the status of the nodes by using it's connectors to log data about all of these connectors.  It can correlate the data from disparate sources and help make sense of it.  It's not a replacement for end point AV or anti malware software.

Bill

• I am  having an issue where the local Microsoft Windows Defender is finding the virus, using the Eicar test file and removing it.

However  SEM is not showing any event, it is showing other events from that computer like logon/logoff so it is reporting.

• I am  having an issue where the local Microsoft Windows Defender is finding the virus, using the Eicar test file and removing it.

However  SEM is not showing any event, it is showing other events from that computer like logon/logoff so it is reporting.

Children