This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Updates not downloading to WSUS

What would keep updates that have been approved for install from downloading to WSUS? I have a couple machines that can't get their updates simply because it can't be downloaded. Says it could be a permissions issue but I don't see the update on the harddrive of WSUS. Could this be related to my recently added Automation server and group management changes?

Parents
  • I've got none of the event 364.

When I use update management and attempt to approve or decline an update it does attempt to change the status but throws a failure. When I go back to the main data grid and right click the update and click approve to change it's approval it returns a success. Thought when the client attempts to download and install this update it fails.

• If there are no EventID 364s in the AppEventLog of the WSUS server, then it's not failing to download the updates... but it may be downloading slower than you anticipated.

What was the information that led you to believe the update downloads were failing?

• If there are no EventID 364s in the AppEventLog of the WSUS server, then it's not failing to download the updates... but it may be downloading slower than you anticipated.

What was the information that led you to believe the update downloads were failing?

Children
  • The error message under task history says that it's either the permissions to the download directory or that the downloads are failing to download properly.

Sent from my iPad

• The Patch Manager Task History would not record any information with regard to the WSUS Server downloading updates from Microsoft, that I'm aware of.

Can you screencap what you're seeing in Task History and post it here. Perhaps if I see it it will trigger something that I'm not remembering mentally.

• WSUSError.PNG

Taken from Task History. For each update title I get one download error and the subsequent install error due to failed download.

• This is a CLIENT-SIDE error. It's saying that the WUAgent cannot download the file for that update from the WSUS Server because it does not exist on the WSUS server -or- the access permissions on the content store are incorrect.

Now that we know that it is the client that's recording the HTTP 404 error, we also know a couple of other factoids. We know that the WSUS server did successfully download the file for this update at some point. If it had not, the client would have never been able to see this update as available and attempt to download the file. So the question is: Which is the culprit.. permissions or a missing file.

First step is to inspect the filesystem on the WSUS server and determine the actual state of the file for KB2705619 related to Windows 7 x64 systems.

Concurrent with that,  run the FREE Diagnostic Tool for the WSUS Agent and verify whether the content store is legitimately accessible.

If the file is physically missing, then run the utility wsusutil reset from %ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Tools, which will reconcile the content store with the list of approved updates, and re-queue downloads for any missing files.

If the file is not missing, then we're back to the accessibility of the content store.