This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrade Reader with msi patch and transform

I am trying to create an MSI package to upgrade any previous versions (8x, 9x, 10x) of Adobe Reader to version 10.1.3 using an MSP patch and a transform but it's not working as expected. When I run the package on a machine that has a previous version (10.1.1), the task history shows that the install completed successfully, but Reader is not updated on the machine. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

As a template, I used the Solarwinds package "Adobe Reader 10.1.3 (Full) and changed the settings on the Select Package screen:

Type: Windows installer file (.msi)

Package: AcroRead.msi (this is the 10.1.0 installer)

Download URL: <the path to the .msi on my file server>

Additional files: 6 files, packageboot.xml, packageboot.exe, AcroRead.msi, AdbeRdr.mst, AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp, Data1.cab

Command Line: PATCH=AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp TRANSFORMS=AdbeRdr.mst

The command line arguments are based on information in the Acrobat Enterprise Administration guide (http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/enterprise-administration-acrobat-products.html), section 5.2.6.3 (pg 65):

Example 5.2: msiexec: Updating 10.x products

msiexec.exe /i "[UNC PATH]\AdbeRdr1000_lang_ID.msi" PATCH="[UNCPATH]\AdbeRdrUpd1010_en_US.msp" TRANSFORMS="1036.mst"

I also added an applicability rule to check that AcroRd32.exe exists, since I don't want to install reader on machines that don't have a previous version installed.