This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Adobe flash 11.5.502.135 keeps installing in loop

So this months fiasco is the adobe flash 11.5.502.135 exe upgrade keeps trying to install! It appears to install as windows updates shows the install process as complete yet when you look at adobe flash console version info its still the same. And then windows updates tries to install it again. Just one constant loop. Anyone else experiencing this? The only way I found that fixes the problem is updating through adobes website. I dont want to do that at every workstation!!!! I feel every month is a different problem with patch manager! Its getting really annoying.

Parents
  • Hi jrebelo,

do you experience this behavior on all of your workstations or specific one only? Would it be possible to turn on windows update log, reproduce the issue and send the log to me?

I will do quick investigation on our environment.

Thanks,

Pavel

• Hi jrebelo,

do you experience this behavior on all of your workstations or specific one only? Would it be possible to turn on windows update log, reproduce the issue and send the log to me?

I will do quick investigation on our environment.

Thanks,

Pavel

Children
  • All workstations. Which log do you want and how do you want it sent to you?

• jrebelo,

please set up the extended loging on one of the workstations as follows and reproduce the issue. Send me the log on email or attach it here.

To enable the extended windows update loggin you must add following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace
    Value name: Flags
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 00000007

Value name: Level
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 00000004

Windows update log can be found here: %windir%\Windowsupdate.log

It would be also great if you could past the Update ID of the flash update (you can see it in details of the update).

Thanks,

Pavel

• The update id is: 92155925-69d4-4c96-88c2-849063245705

• Hi jrebelo,

seems that the installation failed and the registry keys were not updated properly. Could you check the registry on the workstation includes correct version against installation rules, please? Also installation log of the flash can show the installation problem. You can find it as follows.

32 Bit Windows:

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log

64 Bit Windows:

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log

C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log

I will continue with investigation in our environment.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,

Pavel

• Nothing that I could see in adobe install log. And all those registry keys are there.

• One possibility here is that the installer used with the 11.5.502.135 package template is from a lower version number. This would cause the update to successfully run over and over again as the conditions for "is installed" would never be met. Can you verify the update content your machines are receiving is 11.5.502.135? You should be able to locate this content on a problematic target machine in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.

• I think your on to something here David. I reset windows update components and deleted both download and datastore folders. I also deleted all 11.5.502.135 updates on both WSUS and patch manager. I redownloaded flash exe from adobe today and republished and it installed properly on one of the workstations I was having a problem with.

• Yes, you can see in the flashinstall.log that you are installing flash version 11_5_502_110 instead of 11.5.502.135. Which also means that you can not have correct versions of files in the registry so the installed rules are not fullfiled.

Redownloading and republishing should fix the problem.

Thanks,

Pavel

• Not sure where the problem occurred, perhaps the first download from adobe's distribution wasn't updated when I downloaded it.Unfortunately they name the exe file the same. I think that is going to be the solution to my full problem. Thanks for all your help!