This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Yet Another Maps Question Re: Group Details!

My NPM Groups all have the Lat / Long World Map properties filled in...

They all show up on the World Map which is great.

Then I wanted to show them individually on each Group Detail Page so I added the Map Widget and every location showed up.

Question 1: It was my understanding that because the Group had the Lat/Long attached to it, only that group would show up on that map widget?

I then went in and edited the map and inserted a filter for the group based on Groups.Name =

Now, here's where I get MORE confused!

In the Title and Subtitle I tried both ${Caption} and ${Name} as well as in the Filter Group SWQL section...

The variable is accepted (no errors and saves) but, never shows a group. It DOES however show the Title and Subtitle correctly with the name/caption.

Then, I wrote in the name of the group rather than the variable, and it worked, but that would mean this view of the map widget will only work with 1 group, not all groups.

Question 2: If Question 1 is not possible, how do I get the variable to work in the Groups SWQL Filter?

• If you are talking about the Orion Maps widget (as opposed to the older but still present Network Atlas map widget), then no, you can't assign multiple maps to their group names and have the appropriate one appear on the appropriate group / page.

Sadly SOLW have known about this shortcoming (the whole of Orion Maps is a shortcoming, but that's another topic) for well over a year and have yet to do anything about it.

There is an FR you could vote on: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/product-forums/the-orion-platform/i/feature-requests/orion-map-widget-improvements and has solved this by using (in his words) "a small JS in a HTML control" - I have no idea what that means and I'm hoping he'll produce a "how-to" soon Grin

• Well...  kinda :-)  The code actually loads a view by the same name (that typically contained an Orion Map).  So do directly answer this would need modifying.  However the technique as laid out in the code is simple enough.

thwack.solarwinds.com/.../3438

• So the title and subtitle parse the variable but the SWQL filter (where we need) won't??? That can't be right... lol. What about the fact that the group itself has lat/long attached to it already, it doesn't use that either?

• Is there a way to make a copy of an the existing Worldwide Map Widget so it can be edited and tweaked and maybe have the filter piece updated to accept the variable, or see where in the DB it's storing it's code, etc... ? Or, a way to make a worldwide map via custom html that uses the group data?

• I agree that should work.  Wonder if this is actually a bug?  

• I don't have it to hand, but there was a write-up here about how to unpack the Solarwinds website files, and produce a custom widget.   I prefer not to hack things that that low-level (because it would need to be updated when Solarwind was patched). 

I prefer to write javascript and put it in a Custom HTML widget.  This would also be an option.

Though i would expect your filter to work, already.

• Yeah I don't want to get that deep either, we're new to SW but I've been doing this stuff for 1000 years in other systems. So now I'm in SWQL and this will update the specific filter value for a single worldwide map widget. I'm trying to see what I can put in here to have it work.

Set-SwisObject $swis -Uri 'swis://my.servername.yay/Orion/Orion.ResourceProperties/ResourceID=2213,PropertyName="Filter,Orion.Groups"' -Properties @{ "PropertyValue" = "Groups.Name = 'banana'" }

• Ok, so far this is what I've done with bizarre results only because of the quote on ${Name} that doesn't work, but also somehow isn't required??

FILTER Method Result Difference
    Groups.Name = '${Caption}' Added via GUI Failed to show on Map single quotes
    Groups.Name = ${Caption} Attempted via GUI Won't let me save no quotes
    Groups.Name = ${Caption} Added via SWQL Failed to show on Map no quotes
    Groups.Name = '123 Main Street'  Added via GUI Success single quotes
    Groups.Name = 123 Main Street Added via SWQL Failed to show on Map no quotes
    Groups.Name = '${Name}' Added via GUI Failed to show on Map single quotes
    Groups.Name = ${Name} Added via GUI (WTF?) Failed to show on Map no quotes
    Groups.Name in ('123 Main Street') Added via GUI Success IN
    Groups.Name Like '123 Main S%' Added via GUI Success LIKE
    Groups.DisplayName Like '123 Main S%' Added via GUI Success DisplayName
    Groups.DisplayName Like '123 Main S%' OR Groups.DisplayName Like '555 New Av%' Added via GUI Success OR