This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VLAN Bandwidth Monitoring - What to do?

I'm looking for some feedback from the fine folks here in the community. How do you handle monitoring your VLANs? In my understanding, it's just a virtual interface and there is no bandwidth associated with it. As such, monitoring for high utilization on these interfaces isn't necessarily beneficial.

What is your take? I'm eager to see your responses!

• Hi

If you monitor your device interfaces you should not have any surprises about  bandwidth you use..?right?

Vlan is a subset of one or more interfaces in 99% of cases.

I think we have more visibility problem with layer 2 loops and broadcast domain ...  mac table sizes...

• Thanks for the response. I appreciate your input.

• Rather than create a new post, can I ask essentially the same question. Our main server VLAN is connected to our core at 20Gbps but sits in a continual alert condition as the interface bandwidth is set to 1Gbps. For the physical interfaces and port channels NPM seems to be able to work out what the aggregate bandwidth is. Should it do this for VLANs or does it just use whatever the default is set to? As the VLAN interface is not a real one and can move data in and out as fast as the CPU can process the packets, what is best practice? Should SVIs even have an interface bandwidth set? If so, what should it be set to?