This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using a network discovery to add volumes for monitoring

We have hundreds of Agent-polled nodes and I want to add Swap space monitoring for them.
This is important: nodes are already Agent-polled.
Unfortunately, "List Resource" button is hidden if I check several nodes:

This is example of bad UX, where I can't use ordinary feauture without any reason.

Likely, you will suggest me to use Network Discovery, but it doesn't work well.

My step-by-step course of action:

1. Settings > Network Discovery

And the first question: how can I add nodes here automaticly (for example based of NodeRole or NodeOwner custom property)?
I have no list if IP's for my dozens nodes.
Manual filling IP addresses is nonsense. 

2. Next, Next, Next

3. "Manually set up monitoring" (because I don't want to add volumes other than Swap space): 

4. Yes, run:

5. Waiting some time

6. Results (5/5 nodes found - I wouldn't have the patience for 250 IP's)

And the second question: Why are they "net-snmp - Linux"? They are Agent-polled nodes.

7. I don't need any network interfaces, so ucheck all:

8. Volumes. Let's check only "RAM", because Swap space is in this category.

9. Next, Next, Next

10. Results:

Skipped, not processed. That's pretty suspicious, hm?

11. Finish

12. Let's check these 5 nodes, shall we?

First one:

No tick!

Second:

No tick!

Third:

No tick!

Fourth:

No tick!

Fifth:

No tick!

So question is the same: how to add volumes for several (dozens/hundreds) nodes simultaneously?

Parents
  • Hello, 

First a sanity check, your process is fine as I followed it myself and didn't have any problems adding volumes to existing nodes:

1. (Note the lack of the 'Import Status: Not Processed' message - here is the key)

That leads me closer to believing there is some other system that is interfering, and my bet would be on the 'Duplicate Detector' feature, which you can try disabling from here: https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Disable-Duplicate-Detector-for-Discovery-Engine?language=en_US

If you are still having problems, I'd recommend raising this to support as they will be able to go through the discovery logs to see exactly what is going on. 

Kind regards,

Marlie Fancourt | SolarWinds Pre-Sales Manager

Prosperon Networks | SolarWinds Partner since 2006

If this helps answer your question please mark my answer as confirmed to help other users, thank you!

• Hello, thank you for answer.

didn't have any problems adding volumes to existing nodes

Can't really see a tick near a new volume on your screenshots. 
    Yes - I have all volumes in the Resource list (including desired "Swap space" volume) - but without a tick this is useless Slight smile

Case is already created (00928803) but to be honest I have no illusions about the quality of technical support service Disappointed
    All complex issues have been resolved on our own or with Thwack or haven't been resolved at all.

• Hello, thank you for answer.

didn't have any problems adding volumes to existing nodes

Can't really see a tick near a new volume on your screenshots. 
    Yes - I have all volumes in the Resource list (including desired "Swap space" volume) - but without a tick this is useless Slight smile

Case is already created (00928803) but to be honest I have no illusions about the quality of technical support service Disappointed
    All complex issues have been resolved on our own or with Thwack or haven't been resolved at all.

Children
  • I can indeed confirm that it was all ticked successfully in the 'List Resources' section too :) :

It IS possible for a volume to be in the database but not being ticked in the 'List Resources' section. You can run 2 queries to see what is going on using the Database Manager: support.solarwinds.com/.../How-to-Run-a-SQL-Query-in-Orion-Database-Manager-on-Windows-Server-2008

Query 1 will check to see which volumes are listed in the database under the specific node:

SELECT v.volumeid, v.caption, v.volumetype FROM [dbo].[Volumes] v
    join [dbo].[nodes] n on v.nodeid = n.nodeid
    where n.caption = '$NODECAPTION' --update $NODECAPTION for your device

Query 2 will show whether or not all the pollers for those volumes are currently running (AKA are ticked in 'List Resources') - for each volume there should be a 'V.Details...', 'V.Statistics...', and a 'V.Status...' poller listed here and with the 'Enabled' box ticked:

SELECT TOP 1000 * FROM [dbo].[Pollers]
    where netobjecttype = 'V' and netobjectid in (SELECT v.volumeid FROM [dbo].[Volumes] v
    join [dbo].[nodes] n on v.nodeid = n.nodeid
    where n.caption = '$NODECAPTION') --update $NODECAPTION for your device

Kind regards, 

Marlie. 

• Hi. Not sure this is very useful, but these are results:

Swap space is presented with volumeid 2049:

The same id is presented as poller: