Do alert hours follow the node timezone or the Orion server timezone?

Hello Thwack community, 

I'm working on some standard alerting that I want to disable during high utilization periods such as when daily backups are running.  This alert would need to follow the local timezone of the nodes, not the Orion server, and I see in the alerting where I can set active or inactive hours for the alert, but it isn't clear if it follows the node itself.  As I have nodes globally, want to find a way to clearly set the inactive hours per timezone... 

Will that happen with the hours setting in the alert definition or do I need to go to complex conditions to build this out per node, per the Orion server timezone? 

Suggestions? 

THanks in advance, 

Ken

• Hi there, 

Everything in Orion follows the time-zone of the Database Server, not the node location. 

Generally the recommendation would be to use custom properties to identify the location of the servers (however granular you need) and then create alerts for each set of devices. e.g:

You have devices in the EST time-zone and the Orion DB is set to GMT. Create a custom property called 'Region' and set the value for that EST node to 'EST'.

Now, in the alert configuration, set the scope of the alert to only include device with a 'Region' custom property value of 'EST', and fill in the rest of the trigger. Then, go to the 'Time of Day' tab and enabled it at the right time PLUS the time difference you need for that location. (In our example, subtract 5 hours from the time to make it match the EST time-zone)

You can then duplicate this alert and simply change the custom property in the scope and the time of day as required for your other devices. 

If this helps answer your question please mark my answer as confirmed to help other users, thank you!

Marlie Fancourt | SolarWinds Pre-Sales Manager

Prosperon Networks | SolarWinds Partner since 2006

• Thanks Marlie, that helps but is a poor solution as it will greatly increase the number of alerts I have to create.  There should be a way to exclude within a timeframe based upon local timezone for the device, etc.  Guess I'll be building a ton of alerts now... thank you though for the response.