This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I insert data from a custom node poller into an alert?

I created a custom node poller to pull hrSystemUptime from a MacAfee web gateway proxy server.  This variable is to replace the uptime that SolarWinds uses.  The uptime SolarWinds uses is wrong, it sends reboot alerts when we simply load new policies into the proxy server.

hrSystemUptime does a better job for us, and I used it to improve the quality of the reboot alert.  So this is all good.

Now I need to push this new hrSystemUptime variable into an external system.  I'm using a json post to do this.  My json posts are working great, so nothing to discuss there.

When I use the "INSERT VARIABLE" function on email editor under the trigger actions screen, I see these two variables offered by the variable picker when I search for custom values matching hrSystemUptime:

${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPoller.MIB}
${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPoller.UniqueName}

When I insert these, I see this on the output:

HOST-RESOURCES-MIB:hrSystemUptime
hrSystemUptime

The first line of the output should have been an integer value "494242039", not the string "HOST-RESOURCES-MIB:hrSystemUptime".  

How do I insert an integer value from a custom node poller into an alert?  What am I doing wrong?

Parents Reply
  • Thanks!  But no, that page does not cover inserting variables into trigger actions, only using variables in trigger conditions.  I have good trigger conditions, but the goal here is to push variables into trigger actions, it is in the trigger actions where I need specific help.

Children
  • That page is having details on the triggered value of the trigger actions also. Check the below one.

Note: To include the triggered value to your email add the Current Value variable:

• yes...  I was able to get the answer I needed...  Here are some of the possible ways to expose the data that I am looking for, as well as some other common data points:

Poller Unique Name: ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPoller.UniqueName}
        Poller Display Name: ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPollerStatusScalar.DisplayName}
        Poller Current Value: ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPollerStatusScalar.Status}
        Poller Current Numeric Value: ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPollerStatusScalar.RawStatus}
        Node Name: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.Caption} 

For my needs, " ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomPollerStatusScalar.RawStatus}" is the correct answer here.

The main issue I was having is that the "INSERT VARIABLE" function did not help me find these variables at all, and normally the variable picker is something I depend on to offer me all of the variables.   But there is a whole category of SQL/SWQL data that is weakly documented and often not supported, so I could have used sql or swql to find this data as well.