This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows account used by nodes.

OK, totally new to solarwinds. I have been given a task to change the account used by windows boxes.

how do I find what account each windows node is using. Is there a setting anywhere that specifies 

I seen the account listed under the 'Credentials Library'. Is this it ? Does each node need to be told to use this account ?

Hope that makes some form of sense :-)

Parents
  • Hey, thanks for the reply. I fell at the first hurdle .!

getting this when i execute the copied and pasted query. 

SELECT TOP 1000 * FROM [dbo].[Credential] 

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid object name 'dbo.Credential'.

• So by default is WMI lookups using this account listed in 'credentails library' - and there is nowhere in node settings that tell it to use that account. Is that correct. ?

• You can on each node press "edit node" and change what credentials that node is using:

If you go to "Settings" / "all settings" / "manage windows credentials" you see all stored windows credentials and can change a "named credential" that nodes use. you can also see how many nodes that use each credential. 

• I'm getting confused here. If I go onto the solarwinds box and check evnt log security

A logon was attempted using explicit credentials.

Subject:
    Security ID: SYSTEM
    Account Name: SYSTEM
    Account Domain: NT AUTHORITY
    Logon ID: 0x8D30A1511
    Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Account Whose Credentials Were Used:
    Account Name: I<Service account>
    Account Domain: group1
    Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Target Server:
    Target Server Name: server1.domain.com
    Additional Information: server1.domain.com

Process Information:
    Process ID: 0x9164
    Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolarWinds\JobEngine.v2\SWJobEngineWorker2.exe

From the above, I assumed solarwinds is connecting to Server1 using <service-account.>

But when I check server1 node settings. Its only using SNMP,  not WMI & nowhere in the settings does it specify the <service account>.. What am i missing ?

• Do you have any application monitoring against server1 that use that service account?

• yeah, but struggling to find where the credentials go.

• When viewing the application in orion press "edit application montitoring" (if button does not exist you are not SAM admin)

In there, expand the component configuration and look for "Credential for moniotirng". Each type of component can differ in how it looks.

The credential name here is not the same as for nodes. You find them under Settings/all settings/ sam settings /credential library

• Ah, got it. Lookslike its using hte credential specified on the template. I gues I just need to update the template with the new service account and if it inherits from template , that should be it.

Thanks again.

• Hi Joe,

We can create a report for which node monitoring with service account. Kindly create a report used the below SQL query. Please find the below details. you can easily identified the service accounts. 

Select Nodes.IP_Address, Nodes.Caption, Nodes.Domain_name, Nodes.Node_type, Nodes.status, Credential.Name from Credential

inner join NodeSettings on Credential.ID=NodeSettings.SettingValue

inner join Nodes on NodeSettings.NodeID=Nodes.NodeID

where NodeSettings.SettingName='WMICredential'

Regards. 

• IT looks like the WMIcredentail uses another account. The application components list the correct account i am interested in. That reports shows me other service accounts for the nodes. (if that makes sense)

• Managed to get this which does the job

SELECT n.NodeID, n.Caption as Node, a.ID as ApplicationID, a.Name as [Application], c.ID as ComponentId, c.Name as Component,
    cts.Value as TemplateCredId, cs.[Value] as OverridenCredId, cred.Name as CredName
    FROM APM_Component c
    INNER JOIN APM_Application a ON c.ApplicationID = a.ID
    INNER JOIN Nodes n ON a.NodeID = n.NodeID
    LEFT JOIN APM_ComponentSetting cs ON cs.ComponentID = c.ID AND cs.[Key] = '__CredentialSetId'
    LEFT JOIN APM_ComponentTemplate ct ON ct.ID = c.TemplateID
    LEFT JOIN APM_ComponentTemplateSetting cts ON cts.ComponentTemplateID = ct.ID AND cts.[Key] = '__CredentialSetId'
    LEFT JOIN [Credential] cred ON cred.ID = ISNULL(cs.Value, cts.Value)
    WHERE Cred.Name IS NOT NULL

• Managed to get this which does the job

SELECT n.NodeID, n.Caption as Node, a.ID as ApplicationID, a.Name as [Application], c.ID as ComponentId, c.Name as Component,
    cts.Value as TemplateCredId, cs.[Value] as OverridenCredId, cred.Name as CredName
    FROM APM_Component c
    INNER JOIN APM_Application a ON c.ApplicationID = a.ID
    INNER JOIN Nodes n ON a.NodeID = n.NodeID
    LEFT JOIN APM_ComponentSetting cs ON cs.ComponentID = c.ID AND cs.[Key] = '__CredentialSetId'
    LEFT JOIN APM_ComponentTemplate ct ON ct.ID = c.TemplateID
    LEFT JOIN APM_ComponentTemplateSetting cts ON cts.ComponentTemplateID = ct.ID AND cts.[Key] = '__CredentialSetId'
    LEFT JOIN [Credential] cred ON cred.ID = ISNULL(cs.Value, cts.Value)
    WHERE Cred.Name IS NOT NULL

Children