This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

RAG statuses and alerts for volumes, memory, CPU, interfaces & maybe some components as well?

Years ago I ignored the system defaults and used Custom Properties to create alerts for capacity, etc. (https://thwack.solarwinds.com/product-forums/network-performance-monitor-npm/f/forum/18600/red-amber-green-to-match-custom-property-alert-thresholds) As an alerting method it worked nicely, but the red and amber and green colours remained dependant on the system default levels and so a RAG view was not representative of the actual situation.

Looking at just the volumes for a moment

Now we can edit each volume, override the general system defaults and set individual criteria for each of the thresholds. Both the alerts and RAG work fine with this. It’s a great solution.

Node Details > left tab to Vital Stats > select a disk volume for Volume Details > Edit Volume > tick the box Override Orion General Thresholds near the bottom of the page and it shows -

But sadly it is a one by one process, very manual, very tedious and prone to errors.

What I’d like to do is to import a bunch of numbers into some new custom properties and then copy these into the correct tables by alert, PowerShell or whatever. The [dbo].[VolumesThresholds] had both the system default values and the unique values and seems an ideal place to write into. But it’s a view, not a table, and therefore not editable. Looking at the construction of the view through SQL Server Management Studio shows that it’s very complicated and I can’t work out where the real records live.

In the [dbo].[VolumesThresholds] view the system defaults are called GlobalWarningValue and GlobalCriticalValue, while the unique settings are Level1Value and Level2Value, but these unique setting labels are quickly obfuscated.

Has anyone found them?

Is there a better way?

I’m aiming for a single method that will test the unique settings and trigger alert actions and well as showing true RAG status.

Parents Reply Children