C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys is filling my disk space

Hello,

I notice that this folder is filling my disk space with millions of rsa files. I have more than 2 millions of these files on each poller and more than 5 millions on my web server. I gain about 40k new files each day.

Has someone made the same observation on its configuration ?

How can I safely purge these files ?

I had a first try by deleting files older than 3 months on my web server resulting on losing access to this machine.

Thank you for your help!

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Littlebee_26,

Thank you for your reply. I assume deleting these files are safe for the Solarwinds application but obviously not for the environment. As I said, I lose access to my machine by deleting these files.

Following your link, I found this : https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1683713

It explicitly says: "If you're running IIS, there is a private key for encrypting the IIS MetaBase stored here. This key will have a name starting with 'c2319'. DON'T DELETE THIS KEY – YOU'LL KILL IIS."

I think that is why I lose access to my machine. Moreover, I access this machine via a bastion host. Deleting the wrong rsa file results in losing trust relationships and again, losing access.

That's why I cannot safely delete this directory. Is there a way to delete files in this folder only related to Solarwinds ?