This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Netpath - Does it use ICMP? How do you alert on path changing?

Hi,

I've been asked to set up a 'traceroute' monitor to alert on issues on our network.
NPM's Netpath seemed the ideal solution... But...

1. Reading the NPM guide doesn't explain exactly how the netpath works.
It seems it needs a Target + Port, so typically a tcp (does udp work) based endpoint.
However the admin guide says ICMP Type 11 needs to be enabled as it is "Used by Netpath to discover network paths".  The guide says netpath "uses advanced probing to discover and test the network path", is this marketing speak for "it uses icmp and tracetroute" ?
If so, why are we compelled to input node+port?

2. Alerting on the path changing.
I note there is a "Path to google changed" out of the box alert.  (Which is referenced in https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/NPM-Discussions/NetPath-Alerting/td-p/393174) but I have proven to myself that this alert does not actually alert on the path changing, as I configured it against an internal endpoint where NetPath is currently actively showing the path changing...
Amending the alert to alert on status change does work...
I've found another couple of older posts here on Thwack which are asking the same question, with no solution.

Am I missing something?  is this something I should be able to alert on (and if so, how please? )

3. We have a NetPath set up where we know there are 5 hops.  Netpath only shows 3.  The frequency is set to every 10 minutes to allow the test to complete (strangely an earlier iteration, set to every 1 minute, did sometimes show all the hops).

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm somewhere towards providing an Orion based solution, but also so near but so far.  I'd hate for the solution to be a scheduled shell script, diffing the output...

Parents
  • Did you ever get a response/resolution to your questions?

I am in a similar position. We recently has a circuit go down at the main office, and the only reason we knew was our user VPNs wouldn't connect (no one was in the office yet). We don't host anything to the outside world from our office, so nothing for netpath to lock on to from a PORT perspective, why can't it just ICMP/ping/traceroute? That way I could let it hit our ISP router at least.

Need solution.

• Did you ever get a response/resolution to your questions?

I am in a similar position. We recently has a circuit go down at the main office, and the only reason we knew was our user VPNs wouldn't connect (no one was in the office yet). We don't host anything to the outside world from our office, so nothing for netpath to lock on to from a PORT perspective, why can't it just ICMP/ping/traceroute? That way I could let it hit our ISP router at least.

Need solution.

Children