This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Traps setup issue

Hi,

NPM 2020.2 in use and i am trying to code Advanced SQL trap alerts. But the trap database table contains no data. I can see the traps coming in via log viewer. The Trap database statistics show no rows of data also. 

Any Ideas?

Sorry i am a newbie on a steep learning curve

Thanks in advance

Parents Reply Children
  • I'd build it out in SWQL. Not sure exactly how I'd build an alert with this yet (as I've not done it myself) but this would be some SWQL to get you going looking at the syslogs from SolarWinds Orion Log Viewer (LV) or Log Analyzer (LA). I've always used the built-in functionality. Might require some crafty SWQL work to achieve what you're looking for.. as other folks have mentioned syslogs are really event driven in SolarWinds.

SELECT TOP 1000 n.Caption, n.MachineType, ms.IPAddress AS SourceIP, le.LogEntryID, le.LogEntryTypeID, le.LogEntryLevelID, le.NodeID, le.MessageSourceID, le.DateTime, le.MessageDateTime, le.Message
    FROM Orion.OLM.LogEntry AS le
    LEFT JOIN Orion.Nodes AS n
    ON le.NodeID = n.NodeID
    LEFT JOIN Orion.OLM.MessageSources AS ms
    ON le.MessageSourceID = ms.MessageSourceID

This is just a start... there's much more possibility with this. Above is just a couple quick left joins to pull in the caption and machine type of the node, and the source IP of the received log.

Much of this could be easily translatable (as usual) from SWQL to SQL. Just keep in mind that in SQL, LV / LA have their own database as it's memory-optimized. In SQL you could look in OrionLog_LogEntry table in then SolarWindsOrionLog' database (default name unless changed I believe...)

I hope this helps.