This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion Maps - how do I add a specific map to a specific group

Pretty much as the title states, and probably I'm missing something really obvious.

So I've created a specific map - let's call it 'Map ABC' in Orion maps as I want to keep an eye on how this side of things is developing. I've even saved the map as Map ABC.

Now how do I get this map to display in a specific group called 'Map ABC Group'?

To add to the above, I have added a page / tab in the left hand side popout called "Orion Map" for the group, and I want to display this specific map, for this specific group, and only in this group. As a bonus, it would be nice if said map was available from any node in this group without any extra effort, but not essential.

TIA

EDIT: would be real nice if  this was dynamic and based on the group name a la Atlas, so that I don't have to do it for each, and every group.

Parents
  •  and I will include  in this as well.  This is certainly something we would like to improve upon in the future but does have a lot of moving parts.  

If I may, your ask essentially contains 2 specific details that are important to consider.  Today, in reality, 2 different types of Orion Maps exist.  There are maps created in the map editor and saved, similar to what you described in your case (Map ABC), as well as the contextual map sub-views which are automatically generated.  The Contextual Sub-View maps are dynamic and it is not currently possible to manipulate layouts, icons, etc... and have those changes persist.  

Maps you build via the editor of course can be completely customized and tailored to what you need, and then visualized from an Orion Map widget in the dashboards.  

One of the difficulties we have right now is how Groups function in that all group details pages share the same widgets, therefore adding an Orion Map widget and selecting Map ABC to be shown would result in MAP ABC showing up on every Group Details page. This is obviously not ideal. As mentioned in this thread, which even linked to one of my old posts, there was a way to overcome this from Atlas maps but is not available in Orion Maps. 

Unfortunately making changes to Groups is a significant undertaking, and we hope to improve upon this in the future. I love the idea of a contextual widget of a specific map for all mapped members and something I would love to get into a future release also.   

For now, the best option would be to create a custom view of entities and widgets which could include other metrics and a map.  You can alert and report on maps similar to groups including membership availability etc...

I would certainly suggest feature requests to get more of the community to weigh in as well. Hopefully this helps.  

• Yea, that's one of the reasons we don't want them to get rid of Network Atlas at this point, there are some things you can do in it that you can't do in Orion Maps.   We are doing pretty much exactly what you want in Network Atlas right now, displaying a "per group" map on each Group page.    Simply add a "Map" resource type and instead of selecting a map, go to the box that says "Map name format" and choose one of them, we choose "Group ${Caption}".    Then, lets say your group name is "Foo", simply edit a map named "Group Foo" in Network Atlas and save it, and that map will show up there, while for group "Bar", the map named "Group Bar" will show up.

Putting nodes on the maps is quite easy too, just drag over everything that belongs and tell it to link them together, then rearrange them as you want.   In some ways Atlas is far superior to Orion Maps at this point.   This part I don't understand myself, but we have links that Orion Maps doesn't figure out, shows nothing connected for some switches.   Been working on it with support for months, although the ticket has been inactive for a bit while we "fix" something they say is preventing it.  But, if I throw the same nodes on to an Atlas map and tell it to connect them it does it just fine.   While I would think Orion Maps might not be any better than Atlas at figuring out those connections, I certainly don't expect it to be worse at it, but it is...

I guess I'm trying to say, don't knock Atlas maps yet, Orion maps still has a way to go to get up to speed!!

• Yea, that's one of the reasons we don't want them to get rid of Network Atlas at this point, there are some things you can do in it that you can't do in Orion Maps.   We are doing pretty much exactly what you want in Network Atlas right now, displaying a "per group" map on each Group page.    Simply add a "Map" resource type and instead of selecting a map, go to the box that says "Map name format" and choose one of them, we choose "Group ${Caption}".    Then, lets say your group name is "Foo", simply edit a map named "Group Foo" in Network Atlas and save it, and that map will show up there, while for group "Bar", the map named "Group Bar" will show up.

Putting nodes on the maps is quite easy too, just drag over everything that belongs and tell it to link them together, then rearrange them as you want.   In some ways Atlas is far superior to Orion Maps at this point.   This part I don't understand myself, but we have links that Orion Maps doesn't figure out, shows nothing connected for some switches.   Been working on it with support for months, although the ticket has been inactive for a bit while we "fix" something they say is preventing it.  But, if I throw the same nodes on to an Atlas map and tell it to connect them it does it just fine.   While I would think Orion Maps might not be any better than Atlas at figuring out those connections, I certainly don't expect it to be worse at it, but it is...

I guess I'm trying to say, don't knock Atlas maps yet, Orion maps still has a way to go to get up to speed!!

Children